Piperonyl Butoxide Reduces Salicylate-Induced Nephrotoxicity and Covalent Binding in Male Rats
The salicylates are among the most widely used therapeutic agents in the world. Their effectiveness in treating pain, fever and inflammation all contribute to the extensive use of these drugs. Although generally regarded as safe, a number of side effects have been associated with the administration of salicylates. In particular, the development of kidney toxicity is of concern as this damage may lead to renal failure and death (NIH Consensus Development Conference, 1984).
KeywordsBlood Urea Nitrogen Covalent Binding Kidney Homogenate Analgesic Nephropathy Piperonyl Butoxide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowman, R.H., 1970, Gluconeogenesis in the isolated perfused rat kidney, J. Biol. Chem., 245: 160Google Scholar
- Friedman, M.A. and Couch, D.B., 1974, Inhibition by piperonyl butoxide of phenobarbital mediated induction of mouse liver microsomal enzyme activity, Res. Comm. Chem. Pathol. Pharmacol., 8: 515Google Scholar
- Haas, R., Parker, Jr, W.D., Stumpf, D. and Eguren, L.A., 1985, Salicylate-induced loose coupling: protonmotive force measurements, Biochem. Pharmacol., 34: 900Google Scholar
- Kyle, M.E. and Kocsis, J.J., The effect of age on salicylate induced nephrotoxicity in male rats, Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol., in press.Google Scholar
- Nanra, R.S., 1974, Pathology, aetiology and pathogenesis of analgesic nephropathy, Roy. Aust. Coll. Physicians, 4: 602.Google Scholar
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference, 1984, Analgesic-associated kidney disease, February 27–29.Google Scholar
- Steel, R.G.D. and Torrie, J.H., 1960, “Principles and Procedures of Statistics,” McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Stygles, V.G. and Iuliucci, J.D., 1981, Structural and functional alterations in the kidney following intake of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics, in: “Toxicology of the Kidney,” J.B. Hook, ed., Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Tokumitsu, Y., Lee, S. and Ui, M., 1978, In vitro effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on oxidative phosphorylation in rats, Biochem. Pharmacol., 26: 2101.Google Scholar