Hydroxylamines and Hemolytic Anemia
Hemolytic anemia, the uncompensated loss of red blood cells from the circulation, has been recognized as a side effect of drugs and other chemicals for over 50 years (Muelens, 1926; Cordes, 1926). This response is commonly associated with the aminoquinoline drugs, pamaquine and primaquine (Beutler, 1959); indeed the extensive studies carried out with these drugs in the 1940’s and 50’s by Alving, Carson, Beuiler, and others still serve as the basis for most of our knowledge in the clinical sequelae of drug-induced hemolysis.
KeywordsHemolytic Anemia Hemolytic Activity Active Oxygen Species Hemolytic Effect Blood Radioactivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beutler, E.: The hemolytic effect of primaquine and related compounds: A review. J. Hematol. 14: 103 (1959).Google Scholar
- Beutler, E.: Abnormalities of the hexose monophosphate shunt. Sem. Hematol. 8: 311 (1971).Google Scholar
- Beutler, E.: Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. In The Metabolic Basis of Inherited Disease, 3rd Edition: ( J.B. Stanbury, J.B. Wyngaarden and D.S. Frederickson, eds.); New York: McGraw Hill (1972) p. 1358.Google Scholar
- Cordes, W.: Experiences with plasmochin in malaria. United Fruit Co. (Med. Dept.) 15th Annual Report: 66 (1926).Google Scholar
- Frazer, I.M. and E.S. Vesell: Effects of drugs and drug metabolites on erythrocytes from normal and G-6-PD deficient individuals. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 151: 777 (1968).Google Scholar
- Gosselin, R.E., H.C. Hodge, R.P. Smith and M.N. Gleason: Clinical Toxicology of Commercial Products. Williams and Wilkins Co., Baltimore, 4th edition, pp 29–35, 1976.Google Scholar
- Grossman, S.J. and D.J. Jollow, in preparation, 1985.Google Scholar
- Harrison, J.H. and D.J. Jollow: Role of phenylhydroxylamine in aniline-induced hemolysis. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. Accepted (1985).Google Scholar
- Kao, J., J. Faulkner, and J.W. Bridges: Metabolism of aniline in rats, pigs and sheep. Drug Metab. Dispos. 6: 549 (1978).Google Scholar
- Kiese, M.: Methemoglobinemia: A comprehensive treatise. CRC Press, Cleveland, Ohio, 1974.Google Scholar
- Muehlens, P.: Die behandlung der naturichen menschlichen Malaria-infektion mît Plasmochin. Nature 14: 1162 (1926).Google Scholar
- Parke, D.V.: Studies in detoxification. 84. The fate of aniline in the rabbit and other animals. Biochem. J. 77: 483 (1960).Google Scholar