Monoclonal Antibody-Directed Analysis of Cytochrome P-450
The cytochromes P-450 metabolize a diverse array of xenobiotic and endobiotic compounds, including carcinogens, drugs, and steroids (1-3). The different isozymes differ in their substrate and product specificities and reactivities. The types and amounts of isozymes in a tissue therefore regulate the metabolic conversion of substrates to products. Progress in understanding the role of individual P-450s in metabolism of specific substrates, and in relating P-450 phenotype to individual differences in sensitivity to drugs and carcinogens, has been hindered by the multiplicity of the P-450s. The approach we have taken to the multiplicity problem is to prepare and use monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) as specific probes to individual and epitope-specific classes of P-450s (4–6).
KeywordsAryl Hydrocarbon Hydroxylase Reaction Phenotyping Kidney Microsome Aryl Hydrocarbon Hydroxylase Activity Aryl Hydrocarbon Hydroxylase Inducer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Y. H. Lu, and S. B. West, Multiplicity of mammalian microsomal cytochromes P-450, Pharmacol. Rev., 31: 277 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.H. V. Gelboin, Benzo[a]pyrene metabolism, activation, and carcinogenesis: Role of mixed-function oxidases and related enzymes, Physiol. Rev., 60: 1107 (1980).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Sato, and R. Kato, “Microsomes, Drug Oxidations, and Drug Toxicity,” Scientific Societies Press, Japan (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.S. S. Park, S. J. Cha, H. Miller, A. V. Persson, M. J. Coon, and H. V. Gelboin, Monoclonal antibodies to rabbit liver cytochrome P-450 LM2 and P-450 LM4, Mol. Pharmacol., 21: 248 (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.S. S. Park, T. Fujino, H. Miller, F. P. Guengerich, and H. V. Gelboin, Monoclonal antibodies to phenobarbital-induced rat liver cytochrome P-450, Biochem. Pharmacol., 33: 2071 (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.B. J. Song, H. V. Gelboin, S. S. Park, F. K. Friedman, Epitoperelatedness and phenotyping of hepatic cytochrome P-450 with monoclonal antibodies, Biochem. J., (in press).Google Scholar
- 11.K. C. Cheng, H. V. Gelboin, S. S. Park, and F. K. Friedman, Structural relatedness of six monoclonal antibody immunopurified cytochromes P-450, (submitted).Google Scholar