Biosynthesis of Somatostatin, Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide, and Thyrotropin Releasing Hormone
The purpose of this review is to describe the recent advances in our understanding of the biosynthesis of three brain/gut peptides — somatostatin, vasoactive intestinal polypeptide, and thyrotropin releasing hormone. Although each of these hormones is found in both the brain and gastrointestinal tract, their physiology is quite distinct. Furthermore, each peptide poses a unique set of problems for isolating and characterizing its gene and gene products. This review focuses on the different molecular approaches that we have used to characterize the precursors of these three peptides. It further describes the more general techniques that we are currently using to examine the expression of the three genes.
KeywordsVasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide Thyrotropin Release Hormone Thyrotropin Release Hormone High Molecular Weight Precursor Single Arginine Residue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arimura, A., Smith, W., Schally, A. V., 1976, Blockade of the stress-induced decrease in blood GH by anti-somatostatin serum in rats. Endocrinology, 98:450.Google Scholar
- Goodman, R. H., Aron, D. C., Roos, B. A., 1983, Rat pre-prosomatostatin: structure and processing by microsomal membranes. J. Biol. Chem., 257:1156.Google Scholar
- Hellerman, S. G., Cone, R. C., Potts, J. T., Rich, A., Mulligan, R. C., Kronenberg, H. M., 1984, Secretion of human parathyroid hormone from rat pituitary cells infected with a recombinant retrovirus encoding preproparathyroid hormone. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 81:5340.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jackson, I. M. D., Wu, P., Lechan, R. M., 1985, Immunohistochemical localization in the rat brain of the precursor for thyrotropin releasing hormone. Science, (in press).Google Scholar
- Low, M. J., Lechan, R. M., Rosenblatt, M., Goodman, R. H., 1983, Distribution and content of prosomatostain-specific antigen in rat brain. Program of the 65th Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society, San Antonio, 1983 Abs. 281.Google Scholar
- Marley, P., Emson, P., 1982, in: “Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide,” S. I. Said, ed. (Raven Press, New York) p. 341.Google Scholar
- Tavianini, M. A., Hayes, T. E., Magazin, M. D., Minth, C. D., Dixon, J. E., 1985, Isolation, characterization, and DNA sequence of the somatostatin gene. J. Biol. Chem., 259:11798.Google Scholar
- Tsukada, T., Horovitch, S. J., Montminy, M. R., Mandel, G., Goodman, R. H., 1985, Structure of the human vasoactive intestinal polypeptide gene. DNA, (in press).Google Scholar
- Warren, T. G., Shields, D., 1982, Cell-free biosynthesis of somatostatin precursors: evidence for multiple forms of pre-prosomatostatin. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 77:4074.Google Scholar