Summary of Discussion at NIMH Conference: “New Directions in Failure to Thrive Research: Implications for Prevention,” October, 1984
The participants in the NIMH conference which stimulated this book had an opportunity to discuss the state of the art in research in FTT. The following summary of this discussion recapitulates themes that recur in this volume, offers the reader the feel for a working discussion which occurred among these researchers and practitioners, underscores areas in need of future research, and outlines special methodological problems.
KeywordsEating Disorder Child Psychiatry Social Play Post Natal Growth Diagnostic Subtype
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistic Manual of Psychiatric Disorders, 3rd Edition. Washington, D.C., 1980.Google Scholar
- Barrett, D. Malnutrition and child behavior: Conceptualization and assessment of social-emotional functioning and a report of an empirical study. In J. Brozek, B. Schurch (Eds.), Critical Assessment of Key Issues in Research on Malnutrition and Behavior. Bern, Switzerland: Huber, in press.Google Scholar
- Bithoney, W.G., Rathbun, J.M. Failure to thrive. In W.B. Levin, A.C. Carey, A.D. Crocker, R.J. Gross (Edg.), Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1983.Google Scholar
- Block, J.H., Block, J. The role of ego control and ego resiliency in the organization of behavior. In W.A. Collins (Ed.), Development of Cognition, Affect and Social Relations. Minnesota Symposia of Child Psychology, Vol. 13. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1980.Google Scholar
- Brandt, I. Growth dynamics of low birth weight infants with emphasis on the perinatal period. In F. Falkner, J.M. Tanner (Eds.), Human Growth, Vol. 2, Post Natal Growth. New York: Plenum, 1978.Google Scholar
- Fomon, S.J. Infant Nutrition. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1974.Google Scholar
- Garvey, C. Some properties of social play. In J.S. Brunner, A. Jolly, K. Sylvia (Eds.), Play: Its Role in Development and Evolution. New York: Basic Books, 1976.Google Scholar
- Lorr, M. Cluster Analysis for Social Scientists. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 1983.Google Scholar