Neurotrophic Effects of in Vitro Innervation of Cultured Muscle Cells. Modulation of Ca2+-Activated K+ Conductances
The trophic influence of nerve on muscle is expressed as several complex changes of the muscle plasma membrane (McArdle, 1983). Muscle denervation studies (Luco and Eyzaguirre, 1955; Thesleff, 1974) showed that cutting of the nerve decreased the membrane resting potential, increased the specific membrane resistance, and induced the appearance of hyperpolarizing afterpotentials. Denervation also decreases the sensitivity to blockage by tetrodotoxin of the action potential mechanism (Thesleff, 1974) and promotes the insertion of acetylcholine receptors into extra-junctional regions (Berg and Hall, 1975).
KeywordsSpinal Cord Neuron Neurotrophic Effect Muscle Innervation Propagate Action Potential Trophic Influence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barrett, J. N., Magleby, K. L., and Pallotta, B. S., 1982, Properties of single calcium-activated potassium channels in cultured rat muscle, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 331:211–230.Google Scholar
- Burgess, G. M., Claret, M., and Jenkinson, D. H., 1981, Effects of quinine and apamin on the Ca-dependent K permeability of mammalian hepatocytes and red cells, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 317:67–90.Google Scholar
- Cullen, M. J., Harris, J. B., Marshall, M. W., and Ward, M. W., 1975, An electrophysiological study of normal and denervated chicken latissimus dorsi muscles, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 245:371–385.Google Scholar
- Suarez-Isla, B. A., and Rapoport, S. I., 1983, In vitro innervation modulates a calcium-activated potassium conductance in rat myotubes, Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 9:22.Google Scholar
- Suarez-Isla, B. A., Thompson, J. M., and Rapoport, S. I., 1982, Effect of coculture and in vitro (re)innervation on the electrical membrane properties in rat myotubes, Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 8:125.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J. M., and Rapoport, S. I., 1982, Absence of stable retina-muscle synapses is related to absence of acetylcholine receptor aggregation factor in retina neurons, Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 8:185.Google Scholar