The β-Cell Bursting Pattern and Intracellular Calcium
Mammalian islets of Langerhans are made up principally of insulin-secreting β cells but also contain glucagon-secreting α cells, somatostatin-secreting δ cells, and polypeptide-secreting PP cells as well as sympathetic and parasympathetic nerve terminals and capillary-associated endothelial cells. The islets of Langerhans from mouse are convenient for electrophysiological studies because they are large (up to 1 mm in diameter), easily distinguished from the surrounding pancreatic tissue, and contain a large proportion of β cells (about 85%), which are mainly located in the center of the islet.
KeywordsRelative Duration Burst Frequency Burst Period Burst Pattern Voltage Deflection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atwater, I.,1980, Control mechanisms for glucose induced changes in the membrane potential of mouse pancreatic β -cells, Ciencia Biol. 5:299–314.Google Scholar
- Atwater, I., Ribalet, B., and Rojas, E., 1978, Cyclic changes in potential and resistance of the β -cell membrane induced by glucose in islets of Langerhans from mouse, J. Physiol. (Lond.J) 278:117–139.Google Scholar
- Atwater, I., Ribalet, B., and Rojas, E., 1979a, Mouse pancreatic β -cells: Tetraethylam-monium blockage of the potassium permeability increase induced by depolarization, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 288:561–574.Google Scholar
- Atwater, I., Dawson, C. M., Ribalet, B., and Rojas, E., 1979b, Potassium permeabilityGoogle Scholar
- activated by intracellular calcium ion concentration in the pancreatic β -cell, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 288:575–588.Google Scholar
- Atwater, I., Dawson, C. M., Scott, A., Eddlestone, G., and Rojas, E., 1980, The nature of the oscillatory behavior in electrical activity for pancreatic β -cell, J. Horm. Metab. Res.[Suppl.] 10:100–107.Google Scholar
- Atwater, I., Dawson, C. M., Eddlestone, G. T., and Rojas, E., 1981, Voltage noise measurements across the pancreatic β -cell membrane: Calcium channel characteristics, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 314:195–212.Google Scholar
- Beigelman, P. M., Ribalet, B., and Atwater, I., 1977, Electrical activity of mouse pancreatic beta-cells II. Effects of glucose and arginine, J. Physiol. (Paris) 73:201–217.Google Scholar
- Hodgkin, A. L., and Huxley, A. F., 1952, A quantitative description of membrane current and its application to conduction and excitation in nerve, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 117:500–544.Google Scholar
- Meissner, H. P., 1976, Electrical characteristics of the beta-cells in pancreatic islets, J. Physiol. (Paris) 72:757–767.Google Scholar