Characterization of Large-Unitary-Conductance Calcium-Activated Potassium Channels in Planar Lipid Bilayers
In this chapter we discuss the data obtained for a calcium-activated potassium channel of large unitary conductance. These channels are thought to be involved in the regulation of different cellular functions such as repetitive firing of neurons, hormonal secretion, potassium secretion in renal tubular cells, cyclic activity in smooth muscle, and others (Latorre et al., 1985).
KeywordsChromaffin Cell Channel Conductance Kinetic Scheme Closed Time Planar Lipid Bilayer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cecchi, X., Wolff, D., Alvarez, O., and Latorre, R., 1985, Incorporation of Ca2+-activated K+ channels from rabbit intestinal smooth muscle sarcolemma into planar bilayers, Biophys. J. 45:38a.Google Scholar
- Guharay, F., and Sachs, F., 1984, Stretch-activated single ion channel current in tissue-cultured embryonic chick skeletal muscle, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 352:685–701.Google Scholar
- Magleby, K. L., and Pallota, B. S., 1983a, Calcium dependence of open and shut interval distributions from calcium-activated potassium channels in cultured rat muscle, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 344:585–604.Google Scholar
- Magleby, K. L., and Pallota, B. S., 1983b, Burst kinetics of single calcium-activated potassium channels in cultured rat muscle, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 344:605–623.Google Scholar
- Meech, R. W., and Standen, N. B., 1975, Potassium activation in Helix aspersa neurones under voltage clamp: A component mediated by calcium influx, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 249:211–234.Google Scholar
- Vergara, C., 1983, Characterization of a Ca-Activated K Channel from Skeletal Muscle Membranes in Artificial Bilayers, Ph.D. disertation, Harvard University, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Walsh, A. V., and Singer, J. J., 1983, Identification and characterization of a Ca-activated K channel in freshly dissociated vertebrate smooth muscle cells using the patch clamp technique, Biophys. J. 41:56a.Google Scholar
- Wolff, D., Cecchi, X., Naranjo, D., Alvarez, O., and Latorre, R., 1985, Cation selectivity and Cs+ blockade in a Ca-activated K channel from rabbit intestinal smooth muscle, Biophys. J. 47:386a.Google Scholar