Channels in Photoreceptors
Part of the Series of the Centro de Estudios Científicos de Santiago book series (SCEC)
Photoreceptors are cells of the visual system specialized for responding to changes in light intensity. Their response consists of a change in membrane voltage.
KeywordsOuter Segment Internal Transmitter Rhodopsin Molecule Macroscopic Conductance Vertebrate Photoreceptor
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, C. R., and Stevens, C. F., 1973, Voltage clamp analysis of acetylcholine produced end plate current fluctuations at frog neuromuscular junction, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 235:655–691.Google Scholar
- Baylor, D. A., Lamb, T. D., and Yau, K. W., 1979a, Responses of retinal rods to single photons, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 288:613–634.Google Scholar
- Baylor, D. A., Lamb, T. D., and Yau, K. W., 1979b, The membrane current of single rod outer segments, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 288:589–611.Google Scholar
- Brown, J. E., Brown, P. K., and Pinto, L. H., 1977, Detection of light-induced changes of intracellular ionized calcium concentration Limulus ventral photoreceptors using ar-senazo III, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 267:299–320.Google Scholar
- Cone, R. A., 1973, The internal transmitter model for visual excitation: Some quantitative implications, in Biochemistry and Physiology of Visual Pigments (H. Langer, ed.), Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidleberg, New York, pp. 275–282.Google Scholar
- Hall, J. E., 1981, Channels and carriers in lipid bilayers, in Membrane Transport (R. Bouting, and J. de Pout, eds.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, pp. 107–121.Google Scholar
- Levy, S., 1983, Relationship between sensitivity and intracellular free Ca concentration in Limulus ventral photoreceptors. A quantitative study using Ca selective microelec-trodes, Ph.D. Thesis, Boston University, Boston.Google Scholar
- Liebman, P. A., Mueller, P., and Pugh, E. N., Jr., 1984, Protons supress the dark current of frog retinal rods, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 347:85–110.Google Scholar
- Lisman, J. E., and Brown, J. E., 1971, The effects of intracellular Ca2+ on the light response and on light adaptation in Limulus ventral photoreceptors, in The Visual System: Neurophysiology, Biophysics and Their Clinical Applications (G. B. Arden, ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 23–33.Google Scholar
- Yoshikami, S., and Hagins, W. A., 1971, Light, calcium and the photocurrent of rods and cones, in Biochemistry and Physiology of Visual Pigments (H. Langer, ed.), Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, p. 245.Google Scholar
© Plenum Press, New York 1986