Optical Detection of ATP Release from Stimulated Endocrine Cells
In many types of secretory cells the secretory granules and vesicles contain adenosine-5’-triphosphate (ATP) in addition to the specific transmitters or hormones. Examples include chromaffin cells (Winkler and Westhead, 1980), pancreatic B cells (Sussman and Leitner, 1977), nerve cells (Dowdall et al., 1974; Wagner et al., 1978; Pollard and Pappas, 1979), platelets (Code, 1952; Born, 1958; Weil-Malherbe and Bone, 1958), and mast cells (Uvnas, 1971). It should therefore be possible, at least in principle, to obtain quantitative, real-time measurements of the kinetics of secretion of vesicle contents by monitoring the ATP release (Leitner et al., 1975; Ito et al., 1980; Livett and Boksa, 1984) using the luciferase-catalyzed luminescent oxidation of luciferin.
KeywordsEndocrine Cell Chromaffin Cell Krebs Solution Catecholamine Release Chromaffin Granule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Douglas, W. W., and Rubin, R. P., 1961, The role of calcium in the secretory response of the adrenal medulla to acetylcholine, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 159:40–57Google Scholar
- Eley, M., Lee, J., Lhoste, J. M., Lee, C. Y., Cormier, M. J., and Hemmerich, P., 1970, Bacterial bioluminescence, comparisons of bioluminescence emission spectra, the fluorescence of luciferase reaction mixture and the fluorescence of flavin cations, Biochemistry 9:2902–2922.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Greenberg, A., and Zinder, O., 1982, λ- and β -receptor control of catecholamine secretion from isolated adrenal medulla cells, Cell Tissue Res. 226:655–656.Google Scholar
- Ito, S., Nakazato, Y., and Ohga, A., 1980, Comparison of catecholamine, dopamine- β -hydroxylase and adenine nucleotides secretion between perfused adrenal gland and isolated chromaffin cells, Adv. Biosci. 36:87–94.Google Scholar
- Kidokoro, Y., and Ritchie, A. K., 1980, Chromaffin cell action potentials and their possible role in adrenaline secretion from rat adrenal medulla, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 307:199–216.Google Scholar
- Oka, M., Isosaki, M., and Watanabe, J., 1980, Calcium flux and catecholamine release in isolated bovine adrenal medullary cells: Effects of nicotinic and muscarinic stimulation, Adv. Biosci. 36:29–36.Google Scholar