Mechanisms of Molecular Sorting in Endosomes
Since the time of Metchnikoff over a century ago, it has been clear that eucaryotic cells interact with their environment by eating some of it via endocytosis. As long as 50 years ago, it was suspected that endocytosis brought about the internalization of enormous amounts of extracellular material and, consequently, of a cell’s plasma membrane (Lewis, 1931). Only recently, however, has it been documented that endocytosis is also characterized by a high degree of specificity, both in the initial recognition events leading to the selective uptake of certain extracellular macromolecules and in the subsequent intracellular events that control the fate of internalized membrane, fluid, and solutes.
KeywordsLysosomal Enzyme Lysosomal Membrane Coated Vesicle Endocytic Vesicle Endosomal Membrane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hirsch, J. G., Fedorko, M. E., and Cohn, Z. A., 1968, Vesicle fusion and formation at the surface of pinocytic vesicles in macrophages, J. Cell Biol. 38:619–632.Google Scholar
- Lewis, W. H., 1931, Pinocytosis, Bull. Johns Hopkins Hosp. 49:17–36.Google Scholar
- Marsh, M., Dean, G., Griffiths, G., Mellman, I., and Helenius, A., 1986, Three-dimensional structure of endosomes in BHK-21 cells, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., in press.Google Scholar
- Mellman, I., 1982, Endocytosis, membrane recycling, and Fc receptor function, in: Membrane Recycling, Ciba Foundation Symposium No. 92 (D. Evered, ed.), Pitman, London, pp. 35–58.Google Scholar
- Mellman, I., and Ukkonen, P., 1985, Internalization and fate of macrophage Fc receptors during receptor-mediated endocytosis, in:4th Leiden Conference on the Heterogeneity of Mononuclear Phagocytes (R. van Furth, ed.), A. Nijhoff, Amsterdam, pp. 75–83.Google Scholar
- Rudnick, G., 1985, Acidification of intracellular organelles: mechanism and function, in: Physiology of Membrane Disorders (T. E. Andreoli, D. D. Fanestil, J. F. Hoffman, and S. G. Schultz, eds.). Plenum Press, New York (in press).Google Scholar
- Uchida, E., Ohsumi, Y., and Anraku, Y., 1985, Purification and properties of H+-translocating, Mg2+-adenosine triphosphatase from vacuolar membranes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, J. Biol. Chem. 260:1090–1095.Google Scholar
- Ukkonen, P., Lewis, V., Marsh, M., Helenius, A., and Mellman, I., 1985, Transport of macrophage Fc receptors and Fc-receptor-bound ligands to lysosomes, submitted.Google Scholar
- von Figura, K., Gieselmann, V., and Hasilik, A., 1984, Antibody to mannose 6-phosphate specific receptor induces receptor deficiency in human fibroblasts, EMBO J. 3:1281–1282.Google Scholar