Aging of Adrenal Cortex and Ovary
The early impetus to study hormone secretion in aging resulted from attempts to understand the failing libido noted in many older men. The topic has been investigated and reinvestigated as methods improved, from crude bioassays to crude steroid measurements (the 17-ketosteroids) arriving finally at our present level of sophistication in hormone analysis. Nevertheless, even the semiquantitative bioassays and the gross group measurements of steroids revealed the basic outlines of aging in the adrenal cortex and ovary.
KeywordsPostmenopausal Woman Adrenal Cortex Adrenal Androgen Gonadal Dysgenesis Ovarian Vein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albertson, B. D., Hobson, W. C., Burnett, B. S., Turner, P. T., Clark, R. V., Schiebinger, R. J., Loriaux, D. L., and Cutler, G. B., Jr., 1984, Dissociation of cortisol and adrenal androgen secretion in the hypophysectomized, adreno-corticotropin-replaced chimpanzee, J. Clin. Endrocrinol. Metab. 59:13–18.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lucky, A. W., Marynick, S. P., Rebar, R. W., Cutler, G. B., Glen, M., Johnsonbaugh, E., and Loriaux, D. L., 1979, Replacement oral ethynylestradiol therapy for gonadal dysgenesis: Growth and adrenal androgen studies, Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh) 91:519–524.Google Scholar
- Parker, L. N., and Odell, W. D., 1979, Evidence for existence of cortical androgen-stimulating hormone, Am. J. Physiol. E616-E620.Google Scholar
- Paschko, L. L., Rovito, R. J., Williams, J. R., Sobel, E. L., and Schwartz, A. G., 1984, Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and 3 β-methylandrost-5-en-17-one: inhibitors of 7, 12-demethylbenz [a]-anthracene (DMBA)-initiated and 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA)-promoted skin papilloma formation in mice, Carcinogenesis 5:463–466.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pincus, G., Dorfman, R. I., Romanoff, L. P., Rubin, B. L., Bloch, E., Carlo, J., and Freeman, H., 1955, Steroid metabolism in aging men and women, Recent Prog. Hormone Res. 11:307–334.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, N. B., and Hunzicker-Dunn, M., 1981, Dynamics of Ovarian function, Raven Press, New York, Chapters 1-7.Google Scholar
- Talbert, G. B., 1978, Effect of aging of the ovaries and female gametes on reproductive capacity, in The Aging Reproductive System, Vol. 4 (E. L. Schneider, ed.), Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Zuckerman, S., 1951, The number of oocytes in the mature ovary, Recent Prog. Hormone Res. 6:63–84.Google Scholar
- Zumoff, B., Rosenfeld, R. S., Strain, G. W., Levin, J., and Fukushima, D. K., 1980, Sex differences in the twenty-four-hour mean plasma concentrations of dehydroisoandrosterone and de-hydroisoandrosterone sulfate (DHAS) and the DHA to DHAS ratio in normal adults, J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 51:330–333.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar