The following notes are intended as a review of the main properties of e + e − colliders, divided into 2 categories: storage rings and linear colliders; the basic physics, beam characteristics, limitations on beam current and density and their influence on the luminosity will be discussed.
KeywordsStorage Ring Linear Collider Disruption Parameter Bunch Length Momentum Spread
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.An excellent review of the physics of electron storage rings and all relevant formulae is given in M.Sands, The physics of electron storage rings. An Introduction in Physics with Intersecting storage rings, B. Touschek ed., Academic Press, New York and London (1971), p. 257; also SLAC121 (1970). Another review is: C. Pellegrini, Colliding beam accelerators, Annual Rev. of Nuclear Science, 22, 1 (1972).Google Scholar
- 2.B. Richter, NIM 136, 47 (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.For a review of the early work, see: U.Amaldi, Colliding linacs, in Proc. of the 1979 Int. Symposium on lepton and photon interactions, T.B.W. Kirk and M.D.I. Abarbanel eds., FNAL Batavia (1979); also CERN-EP 79–136 (1979).Google Scholar
- 4.H. Bruck, Accelerateurs circulaires de particules, Presses Universitaires, Paris (1966).Google Scholar
- 5.The LEP Study Group, CERN/ISR - LEP/79–33 (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.E. Courant, Introduction to accelerator theory, in Physics of high energy particle accelerators, AIP Conf. Proc. 87 (1982).Google Scholar
- 8.See for instance the paper by K.L. Brown and R.V.Sevranckx, First and second order particle optics, in Phyisics of High energy Particle accelerators, AIP Conf. Proc. 127, 62 (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, SLAC Linear Collider Conceptual Design Report (1980); also SLAC Report 229 (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.SLC Workshop on the experimental use of the Stanford Linear Collider, Proceedings, (1981); also SLAC Report 247 (1982).Google Scholar
- 11.See for example E. Keil et al., Report of group on (e+e-) colliders, in Proc. of Second Workshop on Possibilities and Limitations of Accelerators and Detectors, CERN-ICFA (1979), p. 3.Google Scholar
- 12.R. Hollebeek, NIM 184, 333 (1981).Google Scholar
- 13.J. Jaros, AATF/80/22.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Bassetti et al., CERN-LEP/TH/83–24.Google Scholar