Skyrmions, Dense Matter and Nuclear Forces
Part of the NATO ASI Series book series (NSSB, volume 130)
A simple introduction to a number of properties of Skyrme’s chiral soliton model of baryons is given. Some implications of the model for dense matter and for nuclear interactions are discussed.
KeywordsNeutron Star Dense Matter Nuclear Matter Baryon Density Skyrme Model
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For a general review of dense matter, see G. Baym, in: Nuclear Physics with Heavy Ions and Mesons, R. Balian, M. Rho and G. Ripka, eds., North-Holland, Amsterdam (1978) p. 745.Google Scholar
- 3.T.H.R. Skyrme, Proc. Roy. Soc. A247:260 (1958) and 252: 236 (1959).Google Scholar
- 4.T.H.R. Skyrme, Proc. Roy. Soc. A260: 127 (1961).Google Scholar
- 5.T.H.R. Skyrme, Proc. Roy. Soc. A262: 237 (1961).Google Scholar
- 9.A general review of bag models has been given by A.W. Thomas, in: Advances in Nuclear Physics, J.W. Negele and E. Vogt, eds., Plenum, New York (1984) Vol. 13, p. 1. See also C.E. DeTar and J.F. Donoghue, Ann. Rev. Nucl. Part. Sci. 33:235 (1983).Google Scholar
- 11.We refer to the lectures by M. Rho, Chiral bags, skyrmions and quarks in nuclei, to appear in the proceedings of the Varenna Summer School, June 18-23, 1984, for an account of many other aspects of skyrmions.Google Scholar
- 12.An introduction to chiral symmetry may be found in G. Baym and D.K. Campbell in: Mesons in Nuclei, M. Rho and D.H. Wilkinson, eds., North-Holland, Amsterdam (1979) Vol. III, p. 1031.Google Scholar
- 13.This case is considered in detail by, e.g., B. Felsager, Geometry, Particles and Fields, Odense University Press, Odense (1981) Ch. 4.Google Scholar
- 18.V.P. Nisichenko, Dissertation, Patrice Lumumba University, Moscow (1981).Google Scholar
- 19.E.B. Bogomolnyi and V.A. Fateev, Yad. Fiz. 37:228 (1983) [Sov. J. Nucl. Phys. 37:134 (1983)].Google Scholar
- 23.A.D. Jackson, private communication.Google Scholar
- 25.P.C. Joss and S.A. Rappaport, in: Accretion Driven Stellar X-ray Sources, W.H.G. Lewin and E.P.J. van den Heuvel, eds., Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge (1984) p. 1.Google Scholar
- 26.See, e.g. ref.1, sect. 8.Google Scholar
- 27.A. Jackson, A.D. Jackson, G.E. Brown, A.S. Goldhaber and L.C. Castillejo, to be published.Google Scholar
- 28.M. Kutschera and C.J. Pethick, unpublished.Google Scholar
- 29.The three-body interaction product ansatz by U.-G. Rev. C, December, 1984.Google Scholar
- 30.H.M. Sommermann, H.W. Wyld has been calculated using the Meissner and U.B. Kaulfuss, Phys. and C.J. Pethick, unpublished.Google Scholar
© Plenum Press, New York 1986