Time-Dependent Variational Principle for the Expectation Value of an Observable: Mean-Field Applications
Part of the NATO ASI Series book series (NSSB, volume 130)
In non equilibrium statistical mechanics one is often interested in making some prediction at a time t1 from the knowledge of some properties at an earlier time t0. In quantum statistical mechanics all the knowledge about the state (whether pure or not) of the system of interest is included, at a given time, in the density operator. Let us assume that this system has been prepared in such a way that the density operator D(t0), characterizing the initial state, is known. At some later time t1 one intends to perform a measurement of some observable A. The theoretical problem is the prediction of the average value of A at the time t1. In principle the calculation of this expectation value
requires only the knowledge of the Hamiltonian H of the system, since the exact evolution of the density operator D(t, t0) is given by the Liouville-von Neumann equation (2.4).
KeywordsVariational Principle Density Operator Slater Determinant Heisenberg Equation Heisenberg Picture
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Balian and M. Vénéroni, to be published in Annals of Physics; a first account is given in Phys. Rev. Lett. 47(1981), 1353, 1765 (E).Google Scholar
- K. Gottfried, “Quantum mechanics”, p. 240, Benjamin, New York, 1966.Google Scholar
- See Balian’s lectures in the present volume.Google Scholar
- N.G. Van Kampen, Physica Norvegica 5(1971), 279Google Scholar
- R. Balian and M. Vénéroni, Phys. Lett. 136B(1984), 301, and in preparation;Google Scholar
- S. Levit, Phys. Rev. C21 (1980), 1594.Google Scholar
- Y. Alhassid and S.E. Koonin, Phys. Rev. C23 (1981), 1590.Google Scholar
- K.T.R. Davies, K.R. Sandhya Devi, S.E. Koonin and M.R. Strayer, in “Heavy ion science” (D.A. Bromley, Ed.), Plenum, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- See for instance D. Brink, Nucl. Phys. A409 (1983) p. 220c;Google Scholar
- P. Bonche and H. Flocard, to be published in Nucl. Phys.A.Google Scholar
- H.J. Lipkin, N. Meshkov and A.J. Glick, Nucl. Phys. 62 (1965), 188, 199, 211.Google Scholar
- J.B. Marston, Senior Thesis, Kellog Radiation Laboratory, Caltech (1984), unpublished.Google Scholar
- T. Troudet and D. Vautherin, Phys. Rev. C31 (1985), 278.Google Scholar
© Plenum Press, New York 1986