Role of Serotonin and cAMP on Short-Term Plastic Changes Underlying Simple Forms of Learning Process
In recent years, invertebrate nervous systems have proved to be experimentally advantageous preparations for studying the cellular and molecular mechanisms that underlie learning, because the neuronal networks of invertebrate ganglia are made up by cells large enough to be analysed by different methodologies. Moreover, it is possible to test the effects on neuronal functions of a variety of molecules by injecting them into the neuronal somata.
KeywordsSensory Neuron Behavioral Sensitization Mechanosensory Neuron Repetitive Discharge Retzius Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bagnoli P., Brunelli M., Magni F. and Pellegrino M., 1975, The neuron of the fast conducting system in Hirudo m.: identification and synaptic connection with primary afferent neurons, Arch. Ital.Biol., 113:21Google Scholar
- Bernier L., Castellucci V.F., Kandel E.R., Schwartz J.H., 1982, Facilitatory transmitter cause a selective and prolonged increase in Adenosine 3′-5′ monophosphate in sensory neuron mediating gill and syphon withdrawal reflex in Aplysia, J. Neuroscience, 2:1682Google Scholar
- Castellucci V.F., Kandel E.R., Schwartz J.H., Wilson F.D., Nairn A.C., and Greengard P., 1980, Intracellular injection of the catalytic subunit of cAMP dependent protein kinase simulates facilitation of transmitter release underlying behavioral sensitization in Aplysia, Proc.Natl. Acad.Sci.USA, 77:7492CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Castellucci V.F., Nairn A., Greengard P., Schwartz J.H. and Kandel E.R., 1982, Inhibitor of adenosine 3’,5’ monophosphate-dependent protein kinase blocks presynaptic facilitation in Aplysia, J.Neurosci., 2:1673Google Scholar
- Castellucci V.F., Bernier L., Schwartz J.H. and Kandel E.R., 1983, Persistent activation of adenylate cyclase underlies the time course of shortterm sensitization in Aplysia, Soc.Neurosci.Abstr., 9:169.Google Scholar
- Eckstein F., Cassel D., Levkovitz H., Lowe M., Selinger Z., 1979, Guanosine 5’-O-(2-Thiodiphosphate) an inhibitor of adenylate cyclase stimulation by guanine nucletides and fluoride ions, J. Biol. Chem., 254:982Google Scholar
- Hawkins R.D., Castellucci V.F., Kandel E.R., 1981, Interneurons involved in mediation and modulation of gill-withdrawal reflex in Aplysia.II Identified neurons produce heterosynaptic facilitation contributing to behavioral sensitization, J. Neurophysiol., 45:315Google Scholar
- Kandel E.R., Brunelli M., Byrne J. and Castellucci V.F., 1976, A common presynaptic locus for the synaptic changes underlying short-term habituation and sensitization of the gill withdrawal reflex in Aplysia, in: “Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Symposia on Quant.Biol.” vol.XL Editor, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.Google Scholar
- Kandel E.R., Abrams T., Bernier L., Carew T.J., Hawkins R.D. and Schwartz J.H. 1983, Classical conditioning and sensitization share common aspects of the same molecular cascade in Aplysia, in: “Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology” vol. XLVIII, Editor Cold Spring HarborGoogle Scholar