Determinations of Functional Heterogeneity in Proteoliposomes
In this chapter the role of membranes and membrane proteins in the organization and maintenance of biological function are discussed. Reconstitution experiments in the study of membrane proteins are considered along with a discussion of physical and functional heterogeneity as it pertains to these proteoliposome preparations. In this context, a novel dual-entrapped-probe method for the analysis of this heterogeneity is detailed. Specific reference is made to the application of the dual-probe approach to membrane proteins which generate pH gradients. The chapter concludes with a brief discussion of further applications of the technique and its limitations.
KeywordsPhospholipid Vesicle Ideal Probe Functional Heterogeneity United Kingdom Introduction Halobacterium Halobium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bell, D. H., Patterson, L. K., and Gould, J. M., Transmembrane pH gradients and functional heterogeneity in reconstituted vesicle systems, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 725:368.Google Scholar
- Drachev, L. A., Frolov, V. N., Kaulen, A. D., Liberman, E. A., Obstroumov, S. A., Plakunova, V. G., Semenov, A. Yu., and Skulachev, V. P., Reconstitution of biological molecular generators of electric current. BacteriorhodopsinJ. Biol. Chem., 251:7059.Google Scholar
- Gould, J. M., and Bell, D. H., 1981, Hydrogen ion permeability in reconstituted vesicle systems, in: “Energy Coupling in Photosynthesis,” Selman, B. R. and Selman-Reimer, S. eds., Elsevier, New York.Google Scholar
- Hargreaves, W. R., and Deamer, D. W., 1978, Origin and early evolution of bilayer membranes, in: “Light Transducing Membranes,” D. W. Deamer ed., ACddemic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Jain, K. M., and Wagner, R. C., 1980, “Introduction to Biological Membranes,” Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Kagawa, Y., and Racker, E., 1971, Partial resolution of the enzymes catalyzing oxidative phosphorylation. XXV. Reconstitution of vesicles catalyzing 32Pi-adenosine triphosphate exchange, J. Biol. Chem., 246: 5477.Google Scholar
- Szoka, F., and Papahadjopoulos, D., 1981, Liposomes, preparation and characterization, in: “Liposomes: From Physical Structure to Therapeutic Applications,” C. G. Knight, Ed., Elsevier New York.Google Scholar
- Trandinh, S., Prigent, Y., Lacapere, J.-J., and Gary-Bobo, C., An NMR method for the study of proton transport across phospholipid vesicles, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm., 99:429.Google Scholar
- Watts, A., Marsh, D., and Knowles, P.F., 1978, Characterization of dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine vesicles and their dimensional changes through the phase transition: Molecular control of membrane morphology, Biochemistry, 17: 179.Google Scholar