Mutation in Single-Cell Systems Induced by Low-Level Mutagen Exposure
A principal question currently facing toxicologists and radio-biologists concerns how measurements can be made of mutations induced by low levels of chemicals or radiation. In this paper, we focus on measurements in single cell systems. We consider that cellular exposure to mutagens occurs via four modes.
KeywordsDose Rate Repair System Mutation Induce High Dose Rate Mutation Assay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crespi, C.L., 1982, Xenobiotic metabolism and mutation in diploid human lymphoblasts, Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- deSerres, F.J., Mailing, H.V., and Weber, B.B., 1968, Dose-rate effects on inactivation and mutation induction in Neurosporacrassa, Brookhaven Symp. Biol., 20:56.Google Scholar
- Elkind, M.M., and Whitmore, G.F., 1967, “The Radiobiology of Cultured Mammalian Cells,” Gordon and Breach, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Kubitschek, H.E., 1970, “Introduction to Research with Continuous Cultures,” Prentice Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J.Google Scholar
- Lindahl, T., Demple, B., and Robins, P., 1982, Suicide inactivation of the E. coli O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase, Eur. Mol. Biol. Org. J., 1:1359.Google Scholar
- Loeb, L.A., and Kunkel, T.A., 1982, Fidelity of DNA synthesis, Ann. Rev. Biochem., 51:429.Google Scholar
- Mitra, S., Pal, B.C., and Foote, R.S., 1982, O 6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase in wild-type and ada mutants of E. coli, J . Bacterid., 152:534.Google Scholar
- Schlesinger, M.J., Ashburner, M., and Tissieres, A., 1982, “Heat Shock. From Bacteria to Man.” Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Thilly, W.G., 1983, Analysis of chemically induced mutation in single cell populations, in “Induced Mutagenesis, Molecular Mechanisms and Their Implications for Environmental Protection,” p. 337, C.W. Lawrence, ed., Plenum Press, New York and London.Google Scholar
- Thilly, W.G., DeLuca, J.G., Furth, E.E., Hoppe, H., IV, Kaden, D.A., Krolewski, J.J., Liber, H.L., Skopek, T.R., Slapikoff, S., Tizard, R.J., and Penman, B.W., 1980, Gene locus mutation assays in diploid human lymphoblast lines, in: “Chemical Mutagens,” Vol. 6, p. 331, F.J. deSerres and A. Hollaender, eds., Plenum Press. N.Y.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kaden, D.A., 1983, Mutation of human lymphoblast cells by aflatoxin B1: Comparison of normal and hypermutable cells, Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge.Google Scholar