Unsplicing the Gordian Knot
A decade ago, Aubrey Milunsky and I met to discuss the possibility of a project on genetics and the law. In our meetings, I proposed that we prepare a treatise on this subject, whereas Aubrey, correctiy sensing how extensive the topic is, favored a symposium with a variety of speakers. As we all know, the result has been this series of conferences, of which this one is the third.
KeywordsCystic Fibrosis Gene Therapy Gene Pool Supra Note Germ Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Genetics and the Law (A. Milunsky and G. Annas, eds.), Plenum Press, New York and London (1976).Google Scholar
- 2.Genetics and the Law II (A. Milunsky and G. Annas, eds.), Plenum Press, New York and London (1980).Google Scholar
- 3.See President’s Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research, Summing Up ,pp. 71–81, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.Sorenson, J., Some social and psychologic issues in genetic screening, in Ethical, Social and Legal Dimensions of Screening for Human Genetic Disease (D. Bergsma, ed.), Birth Defects: Original Articles Series 10(6):165, 174–81 (1974).Google Scholar
- 5.See President’s Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research, Splicing Life ,pp. 13–17, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.Human Genetic Engineering ,Hearings before the Subcomm. on Investigations and Oversight, House Comm. on Science and Technology, 97th Cong., 2d Sess. (Nov. 16–18, 1982).Google Scholar
- 8.Resolution, June 8, 1983 (ad hoc group organized by Jeremy Rifkin).Google Scholar
- 9.H.R. 2350 (Health Research Extension Act of 1983), 98th Cong., 1st Sess., Title IV, Part F, Sec. 11 (vetoed Oct. 31, 1984).Google Scholar
- 10.Lamm Angers Elderly with Remark on Death, Washington Post (March 29, 1984), at A3, col. 5.Google Scholar
- 11.See Splicing Life, supra note 5, at 53–60.Google Scholar