Generation and Characterization of Human T-Cell Hybridomas That Constitutively Produce Immune Interferon
Regulation of immune responses by T lymphocytes is mediated mainly by the release of soluble factors, which can be either specific (Lonai et al., 1981; Sorensen et al., 1983) or nonspecific (Pick, 1980; Pierce and Kapp, 1980). Studies on the structure and function of these important mediators have been hampered by the great heterogeneity of crude preparations from lymphoid cell cultures induced with mitogens or antigens, and by the insufficient amounts of material available for characterization in such preparations. Construction of T-cell hybridomas by somatic cell hybridization techniques has allowed us to overcome these obstacles.
KeywordsMigration Inhibitory Factor Human Peripheral Blood Lymphocyte Restriction Fragment Length Polymorph Immune Interferon Lymphoid Cell Culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lakow, E., Tsoukas, C. D., Vaughan, J. H., Altman, A., and Carson, D. A., 1983, Human T cell hybridomas specific for Epstein—Barr virus-infected B lymphocytes, J. Immunol. 130: 169172.Google Scholar
- Le, J. M., Vilcek, J., Sadlik, J. R., Cheung, M. K., Balazs, I., Sarngadharan, M. G., and Prensky, W., 1983, Lymphokine production by human T cell hybridomas, J. Immunol. 130: 1231 1235.Google Scholar
- Pick, E. (ed.), 1980, Lymphokine Reports, Volume 1, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Pierce, C. W., and Kapp, J. A., 1980, Activities of nonspecific and specific suppressor T-cell factors in immune response, in: Trends in Inflammation Research ( G. P. Velo, ed.), Birkhaeuser, Basel, pp. 126–133.Google Scholar
- Pure, E., Isakson, P. C., Takatsu, K., Hamaoka, T., Swain, S. L., Dutton, R. W., Dennert, G., Uhr, J. W., and Vitetta, E. S., 1981, Induction of B cell differentiation by T cell factors. I. Stimulation of IgM secretion by products of a T cell hybridoma and a Tcell line, J. Immunol. 127: 1953–1958.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Vilcek, J., Sulea, I. T., Volvovitz, F., and Yip, Y. K., 1980, Characteristics of interferons produced in cultures of human lymphocytes by stimulation with Corynebacterium parvum and phytohemagglutinin, in: Biochemical Characterization of Lymphokines (A. L. de Weck, F. Kristensen, and M. Landy, eds.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 323–329.Google Scholar
- Yip, Y. K., Kelker, H. C., Le, J. M., Anderson, P., Barrowclough, B. S., Urban, C., and Vilcek, J., 1983, The subunit structure of human interferon-gamma, in: The Biology of the Interferon System 1983 ( E. De Maeyer and H. Schellekens, eds.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 129–133.Google Scholar