Comparative Biochemistry of Lipoxygenase Inhibitors
This chapter describes some studies on the mechanism of 5-lipoxygenase regulation and inhibition and then presents an overview of lipoxygenase inhibitors that are active against intact-cell, broken-cell, and purifed enzymes from a variety of sources. Although a large number of lipoxygenase inhibitors have been reported, many of these are rather nonselective. Some of the lack of selectivity may result from a common mechanism of lipoxygenase inhibition by antioxidants and redox regulation. It is, therefore, not sufficient to define specificity against broken-cell enzymes. A truly diagnostic agent must be specific in cellular systems and in vivo to be of utility in defining the role of lipoxygenases in pathophysiology.
KeywordsArachidonic Acid Supernatant Fraction Lipoxygenase Inhibitor Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid Lipoxygenase Product
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armour, C.L., Hughes, J.M., Seale, J.P., and Temple, D.M., 1981, Modification of mediator release from human lung by lipoxygenase inhibitors, Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Physiol. 8:654–655.Google Scholar
- Egan, R.W., Tischler, A.N., Baptista, E.M., Ham, E.A., Soderman, D.D., and Gale, P.H., 1983, Specific inhibition and oxidative regulation of 5-liopoxygenase, Adv. Prostaglandin Thromboxane Leukotriene Res. 11:151–157.Google Scholar
- Hansson, G., Björch, T., Dahlén, S.-E., Hedqvist, P., Granström, E., and Dahlén, B., 1983, Specific allergen induces contraction of bronchi and formation of leukotriene C4, D4 and E4 in human asthmatic lung, Adv. Prostaglandin Thromboxane Leukotriene Res. 12:153–159.Google Scholar
- Kawamura, M., Koshishara, Y., Senshu, T., and Murota, S.-L., 1981, Enhancement of prostaglandin synthesizing activity by the treatment with sodium n-butyrate on cloned mastocytoma cells and various other tissue cell lines, Prostaglandins 19:659–669.Google Scholar
- Patterson, R., Pruzanskey, J.J., and Harris, K.E., 1981, An agent that releases basophil and mast cell histamine but blocks cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase metabolism of arachidonic acid inhibits immunoglobin E mediated asthma in rhesus monkeys, J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 67:444–449.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yoshimoto, T., Yokoyama, C., Ochi, K., Yamamoto, S., Maki, Y., Ashida, Y., Terao, S., and Shiraishi, M., 1982, 2,3,5-Trimethyl-6-(12-hydroxy-5,10-dodecadinyl)-l,4-benzoquinone (AA 861), a selective inhibitor of the 5-lipoxygenase reaction and the biosynthesis of slow-reacting substance of anaphylaxis, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 713:470–473.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar