Effects of Selenium Deficiency on Arachidonic Acid Metabolism and Aggregation in Rat Platelets
Evidence from investigations in the early 1970s indicated the possibility of an interaction between the metabolism of arachidonic acid and the activity of selenium (Se)-dependent glutathione peroxidase(GSHPx, E.C. 22.214.171.124). Lands et al. (1971) reported that the addition of GSHPx to preparations of prostaglandin (PG) synthase and soybean lipoxygenase inhibited the activity of these two dioxygenases. These initial experiments were followed by a series of studies (see review, Warso and Lands, 1983) that demonstrated the peroxide requirement for activation and maintenance of the catalytic activity of PG synthase in vitro. In 1973, it was discovered that GSHPx contained selenium as a necessary component for activity (Rotruck et al., 1973). It is this requirement that has been exploited by investigators to study the relationship between GSHPx and arachidonic acid metabolism, since GSHPx activity can be manipulated by dietary selenium (see reviews, Sunde and Hoekstra, 1980; Schoene, 1985).
KeywordsArachidonic Acid GSHPx Activity Arachidonic Acid Metabolism Selenium Deficiency Arachidonic Acid Metabolite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dodds, W. J., 1978, Platelet function in animals: Species specificities, in: Platelets: A Multidisciplinary Approach (G. de Gaetano and S. Garattini, eds.), Raven Press, New York, pp. 45–59Google Scholar
- Macmillan, D.C, and Sim, A.K., 1970, A comparative study of platelet aggregation in man and laboratory animals, Thromb. Diathes. Haemorrh. 24:385–394.Google Scholar
- Packham, M.A., 1983, Platelet function inhibitors, Thromb. Haemostas. 50:610–619.Google Scholar
- Packham, M. A., Rinlough-Rathbone, R. L., Reimers, H.-J., Scott, S., and Mustard, J. F., 1977, Mechanisms of platelet aggregation independent of adenosine diphosphate, in: Prostaglandins in Hematology (M. J. Silver, J. B. Smith, and J. J. Kocsis, eds.), Spectrum Publication, New York, pp. 247–276.Google Scholar
- Schoene, N.W., Morris, V.C, and Levander, O.A., 1984, Effects of selenium deficiency on aggregation and thromboxane formation in rat platelets, Fed. Proc. 43:477.Google Scholar
- Van Rollins, M., Ho, S.H.K., Greenwald, J.E., Alexander, M., Dorman, N.J., Wong, L.K., and Horrocks, L.A., 1980, Complete separation by high-performance liquid chromatography of me-tabolites of arachidonic acid from incubation with human and rabbit platelets, Prostaglandins 20:571–577.CrossRefGoogle Scholar