Regulatory Mechanisms in Prostacyclin-Blood Vessel Interactions
The mechanisms governing prostaglandin production and action in vascular tissue are steadily becoming clarified. The former concept of a direct balance between vascular prostacyclin (PGI2) and platelet thromboxane (TxA2) in mediating vascular tone or hemostasis now appears simplistic and has been replaced. Current knowledge suggests instead a network of interactions among eicosanoid products of vascular cells, blood elements, and plasma factors (Fig. 1).
KeywordsCholesteryl Ester Rabbit Aorta Cholesteryl Ester Hydrolase Prostacyclin Production Platelet Thromboxane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Etingin, O., Hajjar, D. P., and Weksler, B. B., 1984, Hydrolytic metabolites of prostacyclin alter cholesteryl ester metabolism in arterial cells, Clin. Res. 32:473A.Google Scholar
- Hajjar, D.P., Weksler, B.B., Falcone, D.J., Hefton, J.M., Tack-Goldman, K., and Minick, C.R., 1982, Prostacyclin modulates cholesteryl ester hydrolytic activity by its effect on cyclic adenosine monophosphate in rabbit aortic smooth muscle cells, J. Clin. Invest. 70:479–488.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hoak, J. C, Fry, G. L., Czervionke, R. L., and Haycraft, D. L., 1984, Prostacyclin production in the isolated jugular vein segment, Clin. Res. 32:551A.Google Scholar
- Marcus, A.J., Safier, L.B., Ullman, H.L., Broekman, M.J., Islam, N., Oglilsby, T.D., and Gorman, R.R., 1984, 125,20-Dihydroxyicosatetraenoic acid. A new icosanoid synthesized by neutrophils from 12-S hydroxyicosatetraenoic acid produced by thrombin-or collagen-stimulated platelets, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 81:903–907.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Weksler, B.B., Knapp, J.M., and Jaffe, E.A., 1977, Prostacyclin (PGI2) synthesized by cultured endothelial cells modulates polymorphonuclear leukocyte function, Blood 50:287.Google Scholar
- Weksler, B. B., Knapp, J. M., and Tack-Goldman, K., 1979, Prostacyclin (PGI2) is destroyed by Superoxide produced by human polymorphonuclear leukocytes, Clin. Res. 27:466A.Google Scholar