Education and Training in Forensic Psychiatry
There are two principal approaches to education and training in psychiatry and the law in the United States today, each with its own attractions and liabilities. The dominant mode is self-training by reading, participation in periodic continuing medical education programs, and the acquisition of personal experience by doing work in the field. Another approach that is becoming increasingly attractive, largely appeals to those physicians who are relatively recent graduates of residency training programs in clinical psychiatry: the formal, full-time fellowship training program under the auspices of a medical school. This article will characterize each of these two approaches and will provide information for those who seek further education and training in forensic psychiatry.
KeywordsClinical Psychiatry Fellowship Program Fellowship Training Forensic Psychiatry Forensic Psychiatrist
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pollack, S: Forensic psychiatry—a specialty. Bull. Am. Acad. Psychiatry Law, 2: (1), 1974.Google Scholar
- 2.Slovenko, R: Psychiatry and Law. Boston, Little, Brown & Co., 1973; and Rosner, R: Critical Issues in American Psychiatry and the Law. Springfield, Illinois, Charles C Thomas Co., 1982.Google Scholar
- 3.Gutheil, T, and Appelbaum, P: Clinical Handbook of Psychiatry and the Law. Hightstown, New Jersey, McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1982; and Sadoff, R: Forensic Psychiatry, Springfield, Illinois, Charles C Thomas Co., 1975.Google Scholar
- 4.Brooks, A: Law, Psychiatry and the Mental Health System. Boston, Little, Brown & Co., 1974, with a 1980 Supplement to the book; and Allen, R, Ferster, E, and Rubin, J: Readings in Law and Psychiatry, revised edition. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- 5.Rosner, R: Accreditation of fellowship programs in forensic psychiatry: A preliminary report. Bull. Am. Acad. Psychiatry Law. 8: (4), 1980.Google Scholar
- 6.Joint committee on accreditation of fellowship programs in forensic psychiatry: Standards for fellowship programs in forensic psychiatry. Bull. Am. Acad. Psychiatry Law, 10: (4), 1982.Google Scholar
- 7.Rosner, R: Accreditation of fellowship programs in forensic psychiatry: The development of the final report on standards. Bull. Am. Acad. Psychiatry Law, 10: (4), 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.Rosner, R: Summary report: Committee on accreditation of fellowships in forensic psychiatry. J of Forensic Sci, January 1983.Google Scholar