In Vivo Quantification and Platelet Survival Studies: What is the Best Approach?
Although the role of blood platelets in health and disease may be assessed with in vitro methods such as platelet aggregometry, these have limited value and have been found wanting in the clinical situation, except in a few well-defined diseases. Recently investigators have relied increasingly on in vivo measurements of platelet behaviour. For many years the determination of platelet survival time was regarded as the best determinant of in vivo platelet behavior. It was also accepted that this was best done with sodium-dichromate as platelet label (1). In an important systematic investigation of alternative gamma-emitting radionuclides, Thakur(2) recommended In-111 as a suitable and preferable platelet label. The discovery of oxine and other chelates, has now established the superiority of In-111-complexes over Cr-51 as a platelet label.
KeywordsGamma Photon Platelet Deposition Scintillation Camera Platelet Survival Fitted Regression Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ISCH panel on diagnostic application of radioisotopes in hematology, Recommended methods for radioisotope platelet survival studies, Blood. 50: 1137 (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.A. du P. Heyns, M. G. Lotter, P. N. Badenhorst, F. de Kock, H. Pieters, C. Herbst, O. R. van Reenen, H. Kotze, P. C. Minnaar, Kinetics and sites of destruction of Indium-111-oxine labeled platelets in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: a quantitative study, Am J Hematol 12: 167 (1982).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.P. N. Badenhorst, M. G. Lotter, A. du P. Heyns, O.R. van Reenen, C. Herbst, H. Pieters, H. F. Kotze, L. J. Duyvene de Wit, P. C. Minnaar, The influence of the “collection injury” on the survival and distribution of Indium-111-labeled platelets, Br J Haematol 52: 233 (1982).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.J. M. Paulus, Measuring mean life span, mean age, and variance of longevity in platelets, in: “Platelet Kinetics,” J. M. Paulus, ed. Amsterdam, North Holland (1971).Google Scholar
- 12.A. du P. Heyns, M. G. Lotter, H. F. Kotzke, H. Pieters, P. Wessels, Quantification of in vivo distribution of platelets labeled with Indium-111-oxine, J Nucl Med 23: 943 (1982)Google Scholar
- 13.A. du P. Heyns, M. G. Lotter, P. N. Badenhorst, Platelet imaging, in: “Methods in Haematology,” L. A. Harker, ed. Churchill Livingstone, London (1983).Google Scholar
- 14.W. J. Powers, C. J. Mathias, K. T. Hopkins, J. B. Rubin, B. A. Siegel, M. J. Welch, Dual radiotracer techniques for improved scintigraphic detection of thrombi, in: “Proceedings of the Third World Congress of Nuclear Medicine and Biology,” C. Raynaud, ed. Pergamon Press, Paris (1982).Google Scholar