Thermal Diffusivity and Thermal Conductivity of Some Solid Metals at the Melting Point
This paper deals with experimental determination of thermal diffusivity and thermal conductivity of solid metals by studying the freezing process of the molten metal. Properties of pure zinc, lead and aluminium at the melting point are determined. Likewise the diffusivity and the conductivity of binary alloys of aluminium with manganese or magnesium together with some multicomponent industrial alloys of aluminium at their solidus temperature are determined. The findings are in good agreement with the results from measurements using different methods and with theoretical estimates.
KeywordsThermal Conductivity Thermal Diffusivity Binary Alloy Solidus Temperature Biot Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Thermophysical and Electronics Newsletter, Perdue University, Vol. 8, No. 5 (1970).Google Scholar
- Johansen, S.O., “Simulering av størkningsforløpet,” STF34 A82027, SINTEF, Trondheim (1982).Google Scholar
- Landolt, H, and Börstein, R., “Zahlenwerte und Funktionen,” 6. Aufl. IV Band, Technik, 2. Teil, Bandteil b, Springer Verlag, Berlin (1964).Google Scholar
- Van Horn, K.R., “Aluminum,” Vol. 1, Am. Soc. Metals (1971)Google Scholar
- Touloukian, Y.S. and Buyco, E.H., “Thermophysical Properties of Matter,” Vol. 4, IFI/Plenum, New York (1970).Google Scholar
- Touloukian, Y.S., Powell, R.W., Ho, C.Y. and Nicolaou, M.C., “Thermophysical Properties of Matter,” Vol. 10, IFI/Plenum, New York (1973).Google Scholar
- Touloukian, Y.S., Powell, R.W., Ho, C.Y. and Klemens, P.G., “Thermophysical Properties of Matter,” Vol. 2, IFI/Plenum, New York (1973).Google Scholar
- Eckert, E.R.G, and Drake Jr., R.M., “Analysis of Heat and Mass Transfer,” McGraw-Hill, Kogkusha Ltd. (1972).Google Scholar