Calibration of Heat Flow Meter Apparatus Used for Quality Control of Low-Density Mineral Fiber Insulations
This paper provides industrial laboratories with guidelines for verifying precision in thermal resistance determinations. It deals with both equipment and test procedures, and discusses the development of a calibration program for the heat flow meter (HFM) apparatus used in quality control of low-density mineral fiber insulations manufactured at the Innisfail Plant of Manville Canada Inc. To ensure agreement between the HFM apparatus used in the plant and the guarded hot plate (GHP) apparatus used by National Research Council of Canada, the following elements were incorporated in the calibration program: selection, fabrication and verification of low-density glass fiber reference systems, calibration of apparatus, error analysis of apparatus, maintenance of calibration.
KeywordsThermal Resistance Specimen Thickness Calibration Coefficient Reference Specimen Apparatus Error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pelanne, C.M., Development of a company wide heat flow meter calibration program based on the N.B.S. certified transfer specimens; Presented, Forum on the Guarded Hot Plate and the Heat Flow Meter, Quebec City, Canada, October 1982. ( To be published by ASTM )Google Scholar
- 2.Bomberg, M., Pelanne, C.M., Newton, W., Analysis of uncertainties involved in heat flow meter apparatus calibration; Prepared for 18th International Thermal Conductivity Conference, Rapid City, South Dakota, October 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.Pelanne, C.M., The development of low density glass fiber insulation as thermal transmission reference standards; Thermal Conductivity 17, Proc., International Thermal Conductivity Conference, Plenum, 763–775, 1983.Google Scholar
- 4.Pelanne, C.M., Discussion on experiments to separate the ‘effect of thickness’ from systematic equipment errors in thermal transmission measurements; Thermal Insulation Performance, ASTM, STP 718, 322–334, 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Albers, M.A. and Pelanne, C.M., An experimental and mathematical study of effect of thickness in low density glass fiber insulation; Thermal Conductivity 17, Proc., International Thermal Conductivity Conference, Plenum, 471–482, 1983.Google Scholar