A Cohort Study of Special Educational Needs in Ten-Year-Olds in the United Kingdom
One of the advantages of looking at a national cohort of children (a total population) is that it gives an overall perspective of the problems children experience. In addition, the prevalence figures it can provide of their difficulties is perhaps representative of other populations of children of similar ages.
KeywordsPoor Reader Reading Score Educational Test Parental Interest Special Educational
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Association on Mental Deficiency. (1973). Manual on terminology and classification on mental retardation (rev. ed., H. J. Grossman, Ed.). Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- Butler, N. R., Haslum, M. N., Barker, W., & Morris, A. C. (1982, October). Child health and education study (First report to the Department of Education and Science on the 10-year follow-up). (Available from DES Library, Elizabeth House, York Road, London United Kingdom.)Google Scholar
- Butler, N. R., Haslum, M. N., Howlett, B. C., Stewart-Brown, S., Brewer, R. I., Prosser, H., Morris, A. C., Lyons, P. J., & St. Claire, L. (1983). Child health and education study: A collection of papers from the 10 year follow-up (Second report to the Department of Health and Social Security). (Available from authors.)Google Scholar
- Butler, N. R., Haslum, M. N., Stewart-Brown, S., Howlett, B. C., Prosser, H., Brewer, R. I., Porter, C. M., & Lyons, P. J. (1982). Child health and education study (First report to the Department of Health and Social Security on the 10 year follow-up). (Available from authors.)Google Scholar
- Chamberlain, G., Philipp, E., Howlett, B., & Masters, K. (1978). British births: Vol. 2. Obstetric care. London: Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Chamberlain, R., Chamberlain, G., Howlett, B., & Claireaux, A. (1975). British births, 1970: Vol. 1. The first week of life. London: Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Davie, R., Butler, N. R., & Goldstein, H. (1972). From birth to seven. London: Longman.Google Scholar
- Elliott, C. D., Murray, D. J., & Pearson, L. S. (1977–1979). British Ability Scales. Windsor, United Kingdom: National Foundation for Educational Research-Nelson Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Golding, M. J., Butler, N. R., & Howlett, B. (in press). From birth to five: Clinics in developmental medicine. London: Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Osborn, A. F., Butler, N. R., & Morris, A. C. (in press). The social life of Britain’s five year olds. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.Google Scholar
- Shortened Edinburgh Reading Test. (1983). Sevenoaks, Kent: Hodder and Stoughton.Google Scholar