Ergonomic Database for Visual Displays and VDUs
This paper will survey the current data and knowledge in the human factors/ergonomics literature pertaining to the design and evaluation of visual displays and visual display units (VDUs). The discussion will be broken into several critical areas of current concern and activity. For each such area, existing data and knowledge will be generally summarized, data gaps will be indicated, current activity in research will be defined, and future problems or requirements will be suggested. Much of the discussion will pertain to activities within the United States, although some technological developments from other countries will be noted. In addition, since much of the emphasis on VDUs emanates from European countries, these driving considerations will also be described.
KeywordsContrast Sensitivity Visual Display Display Size Thin Film Transistor Virginia Polytechnic Institute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biberman, L. M., ed., 1973, “Perception of displayed information,” Plenum, New York.Google Scholar
- Costanza, E. B., 1981, An evaluation of a method to determine supra-threshold color contrast on CRT displays, Master’s Thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.Google Scholar
- Cavonius, C. R., 1981, Personal communication.Google Scholar
- Christ, R. E., 1975, Review and analysis of color coding research for visual displays, Human Factors, 17:542.Google Scholar
- Jacobsen, K. D., 1982, A comparison of optical measurements of display products, SID International Symposium Digest of Technical Papers, XIII.Google Scholar
- Keesee, R. L., 1976, Prediction of modulation detectability thresholds for line-scan displays, USAF Technical Report AMRL-TR-76-38, Wright Patterson Air Force Base.Google Scholar
- Snyder, H. L., 1973, Operator performance and image quality, in: “Perception of displayed information,” L. M. Beberman, ed., Plenum, New York.Google Scholar
- Snyder, H. L., 1980, Human visual performance and flat-panel display image quality, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Technical Report HFL-80-1.Google Scholar
- Snyder, H. L., and Maddox, M. E., 1978, Information transfer from computer-generated dot-matrix displays, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State university Technical Report HFL-78-3.Google Scholar
- Task, H. L., 1979, An evaluation and comparison of several measures of image quality for television displays, USAF Technical Report AMRL-TR-7 9-7, Wright Patterson Air Force Base.Google Scholar
- VanCott, H. P., and Kinkade, R. G., 1972, “Human engineering guide to equipment design,” U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D. C.Google Scholar
- Woodson, W. E., 1981, “Human factors design handbook,” McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar