Capillary Wall Permeability Effects in Perfused Capillary-Tissue Structures
In a series of previous papers [1,2,3,5 and 8], we have discussed models that have been adapted to represent, among other experiments, the perfused heart preparation shown in figure 1. These papers have corrected previous representation errors and have discussed computational difficulties encountered by others using mathematical solutions of these models. However, it was found that the model representations as used by Krogh , and later modified by Blum  were not completely adequate to represent the data as determined by the experimental design in .
KeywordsAxial Diffusion Wall Permeability Minimum Tissue Capillary Entrance Experimental Histogram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Schubert, A physiological and mathematical study of oxygen distribution in the autoregulating isolated heart, Ph.D. thesis, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio (1976).Google Scholar
- 2.R. Schubert and W. Whalen, A mass transport model for predicting O2 distribution in the autoregulating heart, Microvascular Research, vol. 11, 127, (1976).Google Scholar
- 7.J. Blun, Concentration profiles in and around capillaries, Amer. J. Physiol. 198, 991–998 (1960).Google Scholar
- 8.J. Fletcher and R. Schubert, Diffusional coupling in a hemoglobin free perfused capillary-tissue structure. Proceedings of the 1982 ISOTT meeting. Dortmond, Germany, July 1982, (being published by Plenum Press).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Fletcher and R. Schubert, Diffusional coupling and wall permeability effects in perfused capillary-tissue structures, (submitted for publication), (1983).Google Scholar
- 11.C. Rose and C. Goresky, Interactions between capillary exchange, cellular entry, and metabolic sequestration processes in the heart, in Handbook of Physiology, E. Renkin and S. Geiger eds., Amer. Physio. Society, Vol. 4 (2) Bethesda, MD. (1982).Google Scholar
- 13.H. Fallsetti, R. Cavvol, and M. Marcus, Temporal heterogenity of myocardial blood flow. Circulation Res. 52: 848–853, (1976).Google Scholar