Effects of Myocardial Ischemia on Cardiac Contractility and Ion Transport in Working and Langendorff Rabbit Heart
Myocardial ischemic injury causes initially reversible cellular changes that may gradually become fixed when the unrelieved ischemia progresses to irreversible myocardial injury and permanent myocardial infarction. Previous research has been focused on the early detection of the ischemic injury, determination of the extent of the damage, and the reversibility of the damage after an induction of experimental ischemia in different animal models (Jennings et al., 1969; Lucchesi et al., 1976; Schaper et al., 1979). Fortunately, we now have an impressive body of knowledge about the characteristics of cardiac ischemic injury and subsequent cell death in terms of biochemistry (Opie, 1976; Rovetto and Neely, 1977; Chua et al., 1979), pathophysiology (Muller et al., 1979; Philips et al., 1975; Roberts et al., 1977), and histology (Jennings et al., 1975; Budd et al., 1978). Recently nucleotide fluorescence (Williamson et al., 1977); and phosphorus-31 nuclear magnetic resonance (Nunnally and Bottomley, 1981) technique have been used for the biochemical characterization of the ischemic injury.
KeywordsCoronary Flow Ischemic Injury Contractile Force Rabbit Heart Ouabain Binding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jennings, R.B. and Ganote, C.E., 1976, Mitochondrial structure and function in acute myocardial ischemic injury. Circ. Res. 38 (suppl. I): 80.Google Scholar
- Jennings, R.B., Ganote, C.E., and Reimer, K.A., 1975, Ischemic tissue injury. Amer. J. Pathol. 81:179.Google Scholar
- Muller, J.E., Maroko, P.R., and Braunwald, E., 1979, The pathophysiology of acute myocardial infarction and modification of infarct size. In The Treatment of Acute Myocardial Ischemia. Ed.: L.H. Cohn. Futura Publishing Co.: Mount Kisco, New York. pp. 49–76.Google Scholar
- Opie, L.H., 1976, Effects of regional ischemia on metabolism of glucose and fatty acids. Circ. Res. 38 (suppl. I):52.Google Scholar
- Philips, P.A., Marty, A.T., and Miyamoto, A.M., 1975, A clinical method for detecting subendocardial ischemia after cardiopulmonary bypass. J.Thorac. and Cardiovasc. Surg. 69:30.Google Scholar
- Rhee, H. and Cooper, J., 1982, Functional alteration of membrane integrity during global ischemia in perfused working rabbit heart. Presented for Int. Soc. Oxygen Transport to Tissue at Max Planck Inst., West Germany, in press.Google Scholar
- Rovetto, M.J. and Neely, J.R., 1977, Carbohydrate metabolism during ischemia. In Pathophysiology and Therapeutics of Myocardial Ischemia. Eds.: A.M. Lefer, B. Kelliher, and M. Rovetto. Spectrum Publication: New York, pp. 169–191.Google Scholar