Sister Chromatid Exchanges in Mammalian Meiotic Chromosomes
Very little is known about sister chromatid exchanges (SCEs) in meiotic cells--only that they occur (1) and reveal frequency and distribution patterns apparently unaffected by cross-over (CO) exchange conditions in those cells (2). Unfortunately, the number of studies from which to draw these general conclusions is small due to a variety of methodological difficulties. Only a few organisms have been analyzed for baseline SCEs in meiotic tissue. No information pertaining to the extent or significance of SCE induction by mutagens during meiosis is available.
KeywordsToxicity Maize Recombination Paraffin Fluores
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.John, B., and K.R. Lewis (1965) The meiotic system. In Protoplasmatalogia VI/F/I, Springer-Verlag, Wien.Google Scholar
- 5.Darlington, CD. (1937) Meiosis in diploids and polyploids. In Recent Advances In Cytology, The Blakiston Company, Philadelphia, pp. 85–133.Google Scholar
- 8.Taylor, J.H. (1984) A brief history of the discovery of sister chromatid exchanges. In Sister Chromatid Exchanges, 25 Years of Experimental Research, R.R. Tice and A. Hollaender, eds., Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 16.Polani, P.E., J.A. Crolla, and M.J. Seller (1981) An experimental approach to female mammalian meiosis: Differential chromosome labeling and an analysis of chiasmata in the female mouse. In Bioregulators of Reproduction, Vogel and Jagiello, eds. Academic Press, New York, pp. 59–87.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Jones, G.G. ,and C. Tease (1981) Meiotic exchange and analysis by molecular labelling. In Chromosomes Today, Vol. 7, M.D. Bennett, M. Bobrow, and G. Hewitt, eds. George Allen and Unwin, Ltd., London, pp. 114–125.Google Scholar
- 18.Allen, J.W. (1982) SCE and meiotic crossover exchange in germ cells. In Progress and Topics in Cytogenetics, Vol. 2, Sister Chromatid Exchange, A.A. Sandberg, ed. Alan R. Liss, Inc., New York, pp. 297–311.Google Scholar