Thrombogenic Potential of Phosphatidylserine-Containing Liposomes
By the spring of 1981, Fidler and Poste and their co-workers had demonstrated that monocytes could be activated to become tumoricidal after incubation with liposomes containing monocyte/macrophage activating agents (Fidler, 1975; Fidler et al., 1976). These same phosphatidylcholine (PC), phosphatidylserine (PS) liposomes containing muramyl dipeptide (MDP) or one of its derivatives could eradicate spontaneous metastases in mice (Fidler et al., 1981). Furthermore, no toxicity is observed when liposomes are administered intravenously to dogs and mice (Hart et al., 1981).
KeywordsPermeability Formalin Toxicity Depression Citrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fidler, I.J., 1975, Activation in-vitro of mouse macrophages by syngeneic, allogeneic or xenogeneic lymphocyte supernatants, J.N.C.I., 55:1159.Google Scholar
- Gregoriadis, G., 1980, The liposome drug-carrier concept: its development and future, in: “Liposomes in Biological Systems”, G. Gregoriadis and A.C. Allison, eds., John Wiley & Son Ltd., Chichester.Google Scholar
- Gregoriadis, G., 1978, Liposomes in therapeutic and preventive medicine: the development of the drug-carrier concept, in: “Liposomes and Their Uses in Biology and Medicine”, D. Papahadjopoulos, ed., New York Academy of Sciences, New York.Google Scholar
- Hart, I.R., Fogler, W.E., Poste, G. and Fidler, I.J., 1981, Toxicity studies of liposome-encapsulated immunomodulators administered intravenously to dogs and mice, Cancer Immunol. Immunother., 10:157.Google Scholar
- Holloway, F.A. and Vardiman, D.R., 1971, Dose-response effects of ethanol on appetitive behaviors, Psychonom. Sci., 24:2l8.Google Scholar
- Juliano, R.L. and Lin, G., 1980, The interaction of plasma proteins with liposomes: protein binding and effects on the clotting and complement systems, in: “Liposomes and Immunobiology”, B.H. Tom and H.R. Six, eds., Elsevier, North Holland.Google Scholar
- McCleary, R.A., 1966, Response-modulating functions of the limbic system: initiation and suppression, in: “Progress in Physiological Psychology”, Vol. 1, E. Stellar and J.M. Sprague, eds., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Mojarad, M., Hamasaki, Y. and Said, S.I., 1983, Platelet-activating factor increases pulmonary microvascular permeability and induces pulmonary edema. A preliminary report, Clin. Resp. Physiol., 19:253.Google Scholar
- Silverman, P., 1978, Animal behaviour in the laboratory, Pica Press, New York.Google Scholar
- van Putten, P.R., May, A. and Jarvik, M.E., 1979, Methods in psycho-pharmacology, in: “Methods of Biobehavioral Research”, E.A. Serafetinides, ed., Grune & Stratton, New York.Google Scholar
- Vereim, C.E. and Ohkuda, K., 1977. Improved method for cannulation of the right lymph duct in dogs, J. Appl. Physiol., 43:899.Google Scholar