Molecular Biology of HTLV
A molecular epidemiological survey of human leukemias using cloned HTLV probes. Seroepidemiological studies have already defined geographical areas where HTLV is endemic or present sporadically, as well as shown an association of HTLV with a subtype of mature T-cell malignancy now collectively called adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma (ATLL). When molecular clones of the two HTLV subgroups became available, we conducted a survey of DNA from different leukemic cells, both fresh and cultured, for the presence of HTLV sequences. This analysis will allow detection of HTLV infection even in the absence of viral antigens or antibodies. In seropositive cases where the patient’s diseases are not ATLL, this analysis may indicate whether HTLV plays a direct role in these diseases.
The molecular mechanism of transformation by HTLV in vivo and in vitro. We approach this by examining the state of the provirus in fresh ATLL cells, primary T-cell lines established from these, and normal cord blood T-cell lines transformed in vitro with HTLV and the mode of expression of viral and some relevant cellular genes in different HTLV-infected cells.
KeywordsHairy Cell Leukemia Fresh Peripheral Blood Defective Provirus Fresh Leukemic Cell Molecular Epidemiological Survey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clark, S. C., Arya, S. K., Wong-Staal, M., Matsumoto-Kobayashi, R. M., Kay, R. J., Kaufman, E. L., Brown, C., Shoemaker, T., Copeland, T., Oroszlan, S., Smith, K., Sarngadharan, M. G., Linder, S. G., and Gallo, R. C., Human T-cell growth factor: partial amino sequence of the proteins expressed by normal and leukemic cells, molecular cloning of the mRNA from normal cells, analysis of gene structure and expression in different human cell types, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., U.S.A.Google Scholar
- Gelmann, E. P., Franchini, G., Manzari, V., Wong-Staal, and Gallo, R. C., Molecular cloning of a new unique T-leukemia virus (HTLV-IIM0), Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.Google Scholar
- Manzari, V., Wong-Staal, F., Franchini, G., Colombini, S., Gelmann, E. P., Oroszlan, S., Staal, S. P., and Gallo, R. C., 1983, Human T-cell leukemia-lymphoma virus, HTLV: Molecular cloning of an integrated defective provirus and flanking cellular sequences, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 80: 1574.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Manzari, V., Gallo, R. C., Franchini, G., Westin, E., ChccheriniNelli, L., Popovic, M., and Wong-Staal, F., 1983, Abundant transcription of a cellular gene in T-cells infected with human T-cell leukemia-lymphoma virus ( HTLV ), Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 80: 1574.Google Scholar
- Waldmann, T., Broder, S., Greene, W., Sarin, P. S., Goldman, C., Frost, K., Sharrow, S., Depper, J., Leonard, W., Uhiyama, T., and Gallo, R. C., 1983, A comparison of the function and phenotype Sezary T-cells with human T-cell leukemia/lymphoma virus ( HTLV) associated with adult T-cell leukemia cells, Clin. Res., 31: 547A.Google Scholar
- Westin, E. H., Wong-Staal, F., Gelmann, E. P., Dalla, Favera, F., Papas, T. S., Lautenberger, J. A., Eva, A., Reddy, E. P., Tronick, S. R., Aaronson, S. A., and Gallo, R. C., 1982, Expression of cellular homologues of retroviral one genes in human hematopoietic cells, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 79: 2490.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar