The Structure and Control of the Pentitol Operons
This chapter discusses evolutionary lessons from the structure of the pentitol Operons. The studies described in the last chapter, together with the genetic mapping of Charnetzky and Mortlock (1974) and the parallel work of Reiner (1975; Scangos and Reiner, 1978a) in E. coli C, had made clear that the rbt and dal Operons were probably contiguous, with a gene order rbtK-rbtD-rbtC-dalB-rbtB-dalC-dalD-dalK-, where rbtK encodes d-ribulokinase (DRK); dalK, d-xylulokinase (DXK); rbtD, ribitol dehydrogenase (RDH); and dalD, d-arabitol dehydrogenase (ArDH); and rbtB, rbtC, dalB, and dalC are control loci for the appropriate Operons. Detailed study of the structure of this region might elucidate (1) the nature of events leading to the enzyme superproduction discussed in the previous chapter, (2) the control of the Operons, and (3) potential homologies between the corresponding rbt and dal genes: their arrangement invites speculation about an ancestry arising from an invert gene duplication.
KeywordsRibitol Dehydrogenase Aerogenes Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- David, P. J., Loviny, T., and Hartley, B. S., 1984, Molecular structure of a gene duplication in K. aerogenes, (in preparation).Google Scholar
- Dothie, J. M., Giglio, J. R., Moore, C. H., Taylor, S. S., and Hartley, B. S., 1984, Ribitol dehydrogenase from K. aerogenese: Sequences and properties of wild-type and mutant strains, Biochem. J. (submitted).Google Scholar
- Godson, G. N., 1976, A technique of rapid lysis for the preparation of E. coli polyribosomes, Meth. Enzymol. 12A:503–516.Google Scholar
- Knott, T. J., 1982, The d-Arabitol Operon of Klebsiella aerogenes, Ph.D. Thesis, University of London.Google Scholar
- Loviny, T., Norton, P. M., and Hartley, B. S., 1984, Ribitol dehydrogenase of Klebsiella aerogenes: Sequence of the structural gene, Biochem. J. (submitted).Google Scholar
- Miller, H. I., and Friedman, D.I., 1967, in: DNA Insertion Elements, Plasmids and Episomes (A. I. Bukhari, J. A. Shapiro, and S. L. Adhya, eds.), Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, pp. 349–356.Google Scholar
- Williams, J. G. K., Wulff, D. L., and Nash, H. R., 1977, in: DNA Insertion Elements, Plasmids and Episomes (R. I. Bukhari, J. A. Shapiro, and S. L. Adhya, eds.), Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, pp. 357–361.Google Scholar
- Wilson, B. L., and Mortlock, R. P., 1973, Regulation of d-xylose and d-arabitol catabolism by Aerobacter aerogenes, J. Bacterol. 113:1404–1411.Google Scholar