Interleukin-2 (IL-2), also known as T-cell growth factor (TCGF), induces the replication of antigen-activated T cells in vitro. However, little is known concerning its function in vivo as a pharmacologic agent. The purpose of this chapter is to review evidence from animal models that IL-2 administered in vivo can induce T-cell growth in vivo and thereby augment specific T-cell immunity. In addition, an attempt is made to identify clinical immunodeficiency states in which the administration of IL-2 might be therapeutic; some of the potential toxicities of IL-2 and effects on immunity that might limit its use as a systemic reagent are discussed.
KeywordsSpleen Cell Host Mouse Serum Inhibitor Ongoing Immune Reaction Immunoregulatory Circuit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cheever, M. A., Greenberg, P. D., Gillis, S., and Fefer, A.,1982b, in:The Potential Role of T Cells in Cancer Therapy (A. Fefer and A. L. Goldstein, eds.), pp. 127–146, Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- De Sousa, M. (ed.), 1981, Lymphocyte Circulat ion: Experimental and Clinical Aspects, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Greenberg, P. D., and Cheever, M. A., 1983, in: UCLA Symposia on Molecular and Cellular Biology (R. P. Gale, ed.), pp. 255–259, Alan R. Liss, New York.Google Scholar
- Krammer, P. H., Dy, M., Hultner, L., Isakson, P., Kees, U, Lohmann-Matthes, M.-L., Marcucci, F., Michanay, A., Pure, E., Schimpl, A., Staber, F., Vitetta, E. S., and Waller, M., 1982, in: Isolation, Characterization, and Utilization of T Lymphocyte Clones (C. G. Fathman and F. W. Fitch, eds.), pp. 253–265, Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Mertelsmann, R., Welte, K., Sternberg, C., O’Reilly, R., Moore, M.A.S., Oettgen, H. F., and Clarkson, B. D., 1983,Blood 62 (Suppl.) l;114a (abst.).Google Scholar
- Paetkau, V., Mills, G. B., and Bleackley, R. C., 1982, in: Progress in Cancer Research and Therapy, Vol. 22: The Potential Role of T Cells in Cancer Therapy (A. Fefer and A. L. Goldstein, eds.), pp. 147–159, Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Smith, K. A., 1982, in: Lymphokines, Vol. 7 (M. Landy, ed.), pp. 203–211, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar