Over 700 persons either having polycystic kidney disease (PKD) or related to persons having that disease were studied at the University of Colorado Health Science Center for more than 20 years.(1–4) This study was begun in 1960 when it was observed that the ultrasound image of the adult form of PKD was quite distinctive.(4) This distinctive pattern offered a potential for earlier diagnosis of PKD and for more effective family screening without the radiation exposure accompanying the excretory urogram.
KeywordsTuberous Sclerosis Polycystic Kidney Disease Renal Cyst Cystic Disease Liver Cyst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Holmes JH: Polycystic kidney disease, in: Watanabe, Holmes, Holm, and Goldberg (eds): Diagnostic Ultrasound in Urology and Nephrology. Tokyo, Igaku-Shoin, 1981, p 39.Google Scholar
- 3.Holmes JH: Early application of ultrasound in study of kidney and bladder, in: Watanabe, Holmes, Holm, and Goldberg (eds): Diagnostic Ultrasound in Urology and Nephrology. Tokyo, Igaku-Shoin, 1981.Google Scholar
- 5.Grantham JJ: Polycystic renal disease, in: Early LE, Gottschalk CW (eds): Diseases of the Kidney. Boston, Little Borwn. 1979, pp 1123–1126.Google Scholar
- 6.Dalgaard O: Bilateral polycystic disease of the kidney. Acta Med Scand (Suppl 328): 17–218, 1957.Google Scholar
- 7.Bernstein J: A classification of renal cyst in cystic disease of the kidney, in: Gardner KD, Jr (ed): Disease of the Kidney. New York, Wiley, 1976.Google Scholar
- 10.Rosenfeld AT, Glickman MG, Hodson J: Diagnostic Imaging in Renal Disease. New York, Appleton Century and Crofts, 1979, pp 42–45.Google Scholar
- 11.Rosenfeld AT, Birdcage AW, Wolf B, et al: Ultrasound in the presymptomatic diagnosis of adult dominant polycystic kidney disease, in: White D (ed): Ultrasound in Medicine. New York, Plenum Press, 1977, p 143.Google Scholar
- 14.Ambrose SS: Unilateral, mylticystic renal disease in adults. Birth Defects 13:349–353, 1979.Google Scholar