Epidemiologic Aspects of Gestational Trophoblastic Diseases in Ibadan, Nigeria
Acosta-Sison and other Asian workers (1, 2) first called world attention to the unusually high frequency of gestational trophoblastic disease — hydatidiform mole and choriocarcinoma — in their region. In 1959 the Joint Project of American and Asian physicians confirmed the geographic variation in incidence (3). In the early and mid-sixties, Hendrickse in Ibadan, Nigeria (4), Oettle in Southern Africa (5), and Dodin (6) in Madagascar (now Malagasy) raised the possibility that similar lesions were encountered more frequently by physicians working in Africa than by their colleagues in Europe or North America.
KeywordsBlood Group Parity Distribution Normal Delivery Hydatidiform Mole Epidemiologic Aspect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Acosta-Sison, H., Trophoblastic or chorionic tumours as observed in the Philippines, in: “Choriocarcinoma, Transactions of a Conference of the International Union Against Cancer,” J. F. Holland and M. M. Hreshchyshyn, eds., Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1967), p. 33.Google Scholar
- 2.Wei, P. Y. and Ouyang, P. C., Trophoblastic disease in Taiwan, Amer. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 85:844 (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.Cattle, A. G., Cancer in Africa, especially in regions south of the Sahara, J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 33:383 (1964).Google Scholar
- 6.Dodin, A., Randrianarivo, P., and Brygoo, E. R., Hydatidiform moles and chorionic epitheliomas in Madagascar, Arch. Inst. Pasteur Madagascar 32:67 (1963).Google Scholar
- 9.Park, W. W., “Choriocarcinoma - A Study of Its Pathology,” William Heineman, Ltd., London (1971), pps. 114, 123.Google Scholar
- 10.Hendrickse, J. P. de V., I. E. A. Scientific meeting, Ibadan (1970).Google Scholar
- 11.Matalon, M. and Modan, B., Epidemiologic aspects of hydatidiform mole in Israel, Amer. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 112:107 (1972).Google Scholar
- 14.De George, Hydatidiform mole in other pregnancies of mothers of twins, Amer. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 108:369 (1970).Google Scholar
- 15.Leighton, P. C., Trophoblastic disease in Uganda, Amer. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 117:341 (1973).Google Scholar
- 17.Hsu, C. T., Chen, T. U., Chiu, W. H., Yang, C. C., Lai, C. H., Changcheng, C. H., Tung, P. H., and Chen, C. C., Some aspects of trophoblastic diseases peculiar to Taiwan, Amer. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 90:308 (1964).Google Scholar
- 18.Matalon, M., Paz, B., Modan, M., and Modan, B., Malignant trophoblastic disorders. Epidemiologic aspects and relationship to hydatidiform mole, Amer. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 112:101 (1972).Google Scholar