TRAC Analysis of the Crystal River Unit-3 Plant Transient of February 26, 1980
This paper describes the application of the TRAC-PD2 and TRAC-PF1 codes to analyze the Crystal River transient. The PD2 and PF1 analyses used the three-dimensional and one-dimensional vessel models, respectively. Both calculations predicted the plant depressurization caused by the open PORV and the subsequent repressurization caused by closing the PORV and continuing high-pressure injection flow. Also, natural circulation was calculated in loop B following reestablishment of feedwater to the loop-B steam generator. After system repressurization, the codes calculated that pressure was relieved through the safety valves, and an intermittent flow occurred in loop A because of high-pressure-injection-driven density variations.
KeywordsPlant Data Natural Circulation Intermittent Flow Integrate Control System Alamos National Laboratory Report
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.“Transient Assessment Report—Reactor Trip at Crystal River-3 Nuclear Station on February 26, 1980 (Preliminary),” Babcock & Wilcox report 07-08-02, Rev. 02 (March 9, 1980).Google Scholar
- 2.“Analysis and Evaluation of Crystal River—Unit 3 Incident,” Nuclear Safety Analysis Center report NSAC-3 (March 1980).Google Scholar
- 3.W. Brown, G. Caldwell, B. Chexal, and W. Layman, “Thermohydraulic Analysis of Crystal River Unit-3 Incident,” Nuclear Safety Analysis Center report NSAC-15 (June 1981).Google Scholar
- 4.“TRAC-PD2 An Advanced Best-Estimate Computer Program for Pressurized Water Reactor Loss-of-Coolant Accident Analysis,” Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-8709-MS, NUREG/CR-2054 (April 1981).Google Scholar
- 5.“TRAC-PF1 An Advanced Best-Estimate Computer Program for Pressurized Water Reactor Analysis,” Los Alamos National Laboratory report to be published.Google Scholar
- 6.G. J. E. Willcutt, Jr. “TRAC-PD2 Calculations of the Crystal-River-3 Transient of February 26, 1980 Using Revised Assumptions”, Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-UR-83-1078 (April 1983).Google Scholar
- 7.P. Coddington, “TRAC-PF1 One-Dimensional Analysis of the Crystal River Unit 3 Plant Transient of February 26, 1980”, Los Alamos National Laboratory report to be published.Google Scholar