Simulation of Transients with DRUFAN
DRUFAN — a computer code developed at the Gesellschaft für Reaktorsicherheit (GRS) is being utilized to analyze the blowdown period of large, medium and small leaks as well as selected anticipated and abnormal plant transients. The code has been assessed extensively by the analysis of various separate effects tests and integral system tests. In the framework of DRUFAN assessment the LOFT tests L6-5, simulating the complete loss of feedwater, and L6-8C-1, simulating a steam generator tube rupture, have been analyzed.
L6-5 has been analyzed predominantly to assess the DRUFAN steam generator simulation capability for steady state and transient conditions, good agreement between measured and calculated results was achieved. The parameters influencing strongest the transient have been identified.
The analysis of L6-8C-1 contributes to the assessment of the DRUFAN system behaviour simulation capability, especially to the simulation capability of the recovery procedure with pressurizer spray and high pressure injection. Good agreement between experiment and calculation could be attained. The parameters controlling the recovery procedure were varied and the influence of these parameters on the system behaviour were quantified.
KeywordsSteam Generator Cold Spray High Pressure Injection Secondary Side Pressurizer Spray
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Wolfert, “The Simulation of Blowdown Processes with Consideration of Thermodynamic Non-Equilibrium Phenomena,” First OECD/NEA Specialists’ Meeting on Transient Two-Phase Flow, Toronto, August 1976Google Scholar
- 2.M.J. Burwell, D. Enix, G. Lerchl, and F. Steinhoff, “DRUFAN-01/MOD2, Program Description-System Code,” Volume 1, GRS-A-646, November 1981Google Scholar
- 3.F. Steinhoff, “DRUFAN-02, Interim Program Description,” Part 1, GRS-A-685, März 1982, Part 2, GRS-A-719, Mai 1982Google Scholar
- 4.D.L. Reader, “LOFT System and Test Description,” NUREG/CR-0247, TREE-1208Google Scholar
- 5.D.L. Reader, “Quick-Look Report on LOFT Nuclear Experiment L6-5,” EGG-LOFT-5165, June 1980Google Scholar
- 6.B.D. Stitt, and J.M. Carpenter, “Experiment Data Report for LOFT Anticipated Transient Experiment L6-5,” NUREG/CR-1520; EGG-2045, July 1980Google Scholar
- 7.W. Pointner, “Nachrechnung des LOFT-Transienten-Versuchs L6-5 mit DRUFAN-02,” GRS-A-722, Juni 1982Google Scholar
- 8.W.C. Townsend, “Performance Evaluation of LOFT steam generator and Air Cooled Condensor during Power Range Tests,” USNRC-P-394, RE-A-79-047Google Scholar
- 9.J.P. Adams, “Qick-Look Report on LOFT Nuclear Experiment Series L6-8,” EGG-LOFT-6031, September 1982Google Scholar
- 10.D.B. Jarrell, J.M. Divine, and K.J. McKenna, “Experiment Data Report for LOFT Anticipated Transient Experiment Series L6-8,” NUREG/CR-2930, EGG-2219, Novmeber 1982Google Scholar
- 11.W. Pointner, “Nachrechnung des LOFT-Versuchs L6-8C-1 mit DRUFAN-02,” GRS-A-report in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 12.A.B. Wahba, V.T. Berta, and W. Pointner, “Pressurizer and Steam Generator Behavior under PWR Transient Conditions,” Third Multi-Phase Flow and Heat Transfer Symposium/Workshop, EGG-M-04483, April 1983Google Scholar