Gender Dysphoria and Gender Reorientation
The transsexual male believes that he would be happier if he could live as a female; the transsexual female believes that she would be happier if she could live as a male. In this chapter, we shall examine whether or not this turns out to be the case. Before we begin to look at the evidence, however, we will define the language we will be using and present the plan of the chapter.
KeywordsPsychosocial Adjustment Gender Dysphoria Partner Involvement Weekly Income Annual Questionnaire
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dushoff, I. M. Economic, psychologic, and social rehabilitation of male and female transsexuals prior to surgery. In D. R. Laub & P. Gandy, (Eds.): Proc of the Second Interdisciplinary Symp on Gender Dysphoria Syndrome. Palo Alto: Stanford University Press, 1973.Google Scholar
- Hastings, D., & Markland, G. Post-surgical adjustment of twenty-five transsexuals (male-to-female) in the University of Minnesota study. Arch SexBehav, 7:327–336, 1978.Google Scholar
- Hoenig, J., Kenna, J., & Youd, A. A follow-up study of transsexualists: Social and economic aspects. Psychiatr Clin (Basel), 3:85–100, 1970.Google Scholar
- Lundström, B. Gender Dysphoria. A social-psychiatric follow-up study of 31 cases not accepted for sex reassignment. Reports from the Department of Psychiatry and Neurochemistry, St. Jörgen’s Hospital, University of Göteborg, Sweden, 1981.Google Scholar
- Money, J., & Gaskin, R. Sex reassignment. Inter J Psychiat, 9: 249–269, 1970–1971.Google Scholar
- Open Forum Arch Sex Behav, 7:387–415, 1978.Google Scholar
- Pauly, I. Current status of the change of sex operation. J Nerv Ment Dis, 47:460–471, 1968.Google Scholar
- Stein, K. B. The TSC scales: The outcome of a cluster analysis of the 550 MMPI items. In P. McReynolds, (Ed.): Advances in Psychological Assessment (Vol. 1). Palo Alto: Science and Behavior Books, 1968.Google Scholar
- Wålinder, J., &Thuwe, I. A Social-Psychiatric Follow-Up Study of 24 Sex-Reassigned Transsexuals. Akademiförlaget, Göteborg, Sweden: Scandinavian University Books, 1975Google Scholar