Families at Risk for Father-Daughter Incest
Sexual abuse of children within their families is a common problem that is only beginning to gain the attention of the mental health professions. As recently as 1975, the Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry1 contained an estimated prevalence of all forms of incest of one case per million population. This estimate is most likely in error by four or five orders of magnitude. Several large surveys2–6 of predominantly white, middle-class women have indicated that between 20% and 35% of all women have had a childhood sexual encounter with an adult male, that 4%–12% of all women have had such an experience with a relative, and that about 1% of all women have been involved in father-daughter incest. The great majority of these sexual encounters are not disclosed at the time of occurrence and have never come to the attention of any social agency.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Henderson DJ.: Incest, in Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 2nd ed. Edited by Freedman AM., Kaplan HI., Sadock BJ. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co, 1975Google Scholar
- 2.Landis C: Sex in Development. New York, Harper & Brothers, 1940Google Scholar
- 3.Kinsey A, Pomeroy W, Martin C, et al: Sexual Behavior in the Human Female. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1953Google Scholar
- 4.Landis J: Experiences of 500 children with adult sexual deviation. Psychiatric Q Suppl30: 91–109, 1956Google Scholar
- 6.Finkelhor D: Sexually Victimized Children. New York, Free Press, 1979Google Scholar
- 7.Maisch H: Incest. New York, Stein & Day, 1972Google Scholar
- 8.DeFrancis V: Protecting the Child Victim of Sex Crimes Committed by Adults. Denver, American Humane Association, 1969Google Scholar
- 10.Cormier B, Kennedy M, Sangowicz J: Psychodynamics of father-daughter incest. Can Psychiatr Assoc J7: 203–217, 1962Google Scholar
- 13.Tormes Y: Child Victims of Incest. Denver, American Humane Associaion, 1968Google Scholar
- 14.Meiselman K: Incest. San Francisco, Jossey-Bass, 1978Google Scholar
- 15.Braverman H: Labor and Monopoly Capitalism. New York, Monthly Review Press, 1974Google Scholar
- 17.Browning DH., Boatman B: Incest: children at risk. Am J Psychiatry34: 69–72, 1977Google Scholar
- 19.Center for Women Policy Studies: Programs for men who batter. Response to Violence in the Family3 (3,4): 6–7, 1980Google Scholar