Thymic Epithelial Injury in the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
An outbreak of opportunistic infections and/or Kaposi’s sarcoma (Gottlieb et al., 1981; Masur et al., 1981; Siegal et al., 1981; Hymes et al., 1981) was described in 1981 among homosexual men in California and New York. Since these early reports a similar syndrome has been described in diverse segments of society throughout North America and Europe. The acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), as it has come to be known, is currently regarded as one major medical issue confronting the Western world.
KeywordsAcquire Immune Deficiency Syndrome Male Homosexual Thymic Involution Acquire Immune Deficiency Syndrome Patient Plasma Cell Infiltration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fliegel, S., and Naeim, F., 1983, Immunopathologic findings in male homosexual patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, Lab. Invest. 48:25A.Google Scholar
- Gallo, R. C., Sarin, P. S., Gelmann, E. P., Robert-Guroff, M., Richardson, E., Kalyanaraman, V. S., Mann, D., Sidhu, G. D., Stahl, R. E., Zolla-Pazner, S., Leibowitch, J., and Popovic, M., 1983, Isolation of human T-cell leukemia virus in acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), Science 220:865–867.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Haynes, B. F., Robert-Guroff, M., Metzgar, R. S., Frauchim, G., Kalyanaraman, V. S., Palker, T. J., and Gallo, R. C., 1983, Monoclonal antibody against human T-cell leukemia virus pl9 defines a human thymic epithelial antigen acquired during ontogeny, J. Exp. Med. 157:907–920.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Masur, H., Michelis, M. A., Greene, J. B., Oronato, I., Vande Stouwe, R. A., Holzman, R. S., Wormser, G., Brettman, L., Lange, M., Murray, H. W., and Cunningham-Rundles, S., 1981, An outbreak of community-acquired Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, N. Engl. J. Med. 305:1431–1438.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- O’Reilly, R., 1982, Unexplained immunodeficiency and opportunistic infections in infants—New York, New Jersey, California, U.S. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 31:665–667.Google Scholar
- Seemayer, T. A., Laroche, A. C., Russo, P., Malebranche, R., Arnoux, E., Guérin, J.-M., Pierre, G., Dupuy, J.-M., Gartner, J. G., Lapp, W. S., Spira, T. J., and Elie, R., 1984, Precocious thymic involution manifest by epithelial injury in the acquired immune deficiency syndrome, Hum. Pathol. in press.Google Scholar
- Siegal, F. P., Lopez, C., Hammer, G. S., Brown, A. E., Kornfeld, S. J., Gold, J., Hassette, J., Hirschman, S. Z., Cunningham-Rundles, C., Adelsberg, B. R., Parkham, D. M., Siegal, M., Cunningham-Rundles, S., and Armstrong, D., 1981, Severe acquired immunodeficiency in male homosexuals, manifested by chronic perianal herpes simplex lesions, N.Engl. J. Med. 305:1439–1444.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar