Immunocytochemical Localization of Thymosin and Thymopoietin in Human, Rat, and Murine Thymus
Several distinct protein preparations isolated from the thymus have been shown to be involved in the differentiation of T lymphocytes. Thymopoietin, the thymosin complex, and facteur thymique sérique (FTS), referred to collectively as thymic hormones, have been localized in the nonlymphoid stromal network of the thymus by immunocytochemical techniques (Mandi et al., 1979; Teodorczyk et al., 1975; Monier et al., 1980; van den Tweel et al., 1979). However, as the thymic nonlymphoid cell population is a highly heterogeneous one, the specific cell type or types of thymic hormone origin have not been unequivocally described. Several forms of epithelial cells and macrophages have been identified in the different zones of the thymus and all are potential candidates for thymic hormone production (Duijvestijn and Hoefsmit, 1981; von Gaudecker and Müller-Hermelink, 1980). There also seems to be a difference in the distribution of cells immunoreactive for various thymic hormone preparations within the thymuses and other organs of different species (Mandil et al., 1979; Teodorczyk et al., 1975; Monier et al., 1980; van den Tweel et al., 1979). Finally, in all cases except one (Schmitt et al., 1982), there has been no ultrastructural immunocytochemical investigation of the synthetic apparatus or secretory mechanism in cells containing thymic hormones.
KeywordsHuman Epidermis Human Thymus Thymic Hormone Mouse Thymus Tissue Chopper
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mandi, B., Holub, M., Rossmann, P., Csaba, B., Giant, T., and Olivetti, E., 1979, Detection of thymosin 5 in calf and mouse thymus and in nude mouse dysgenetic thymus, Folia Biol. (Prague) 25:49.Google Scholar
- Mendelsohn, G., Eggleston, J., and Man, R., 1980, Relationship of lysozyme to histiocytic differentiation in malignant histiocytosis, Carter 45:273.Google Scholar
- Monier, J., Dardenne, M., Pléau, M., Schmitt, D., Deschaux, P., and Bach, J., 1980, Characterization of facteur thymique serique (FTS) in the thymus, Clin. Exp. Immunol. 42:420.Google Scholar
- Pahwa, R., Ikehara, S., Pahwa, S., and Good, R., 1980, Thymic function in man, Thymus 1:27.Google Scholar
- Rowden, G., Sheikh, K., Misra, B., Higley, H., Reifson, M. and Connelly, E., 1982, Investigations of glial protein S-100 and GFA in human dendritic cells in the epidermis and lymph nodes, J. Invest. Dermatol. 78(4):354 (abstract).Google Scholar
- Schmitt, D., Monier, J., Dardenne, M., Pléau, M., and Bach, J., 1982, Location of FTS in the thymus of normal and autoimmune mice, Thymus 4:21.Google Scholar
- van den Tweel, J., Taylor, C., McClure, J., and Goldstein, A., 1979, Detection of thymosin in thymic epithelial cells by an immunoperoxidase method, Proc. Int. Germinal Center Conf. Kiel. Google Scholar