Optically Detected Magnetic Resonance in Amorphous Semiconducting Glasses
Although it has been assumed for many years that photoluminescence in materials such as the chalcogenide glasses is due to a single recombination process, recent optically detected magnetic resonance (ODMR) studies have shown that both exciton and pair processes are involved. This paper will briefly outline the techniques and principles of ODMR as applied to both crystalline and amorphous materials, and illustrate the importance of the method by a consideration of recombination at triplet exciton states in glasses. Amorphous phosphorus has become the model material for these investigations, and the relationship between the ODMR, luminescence lifetime and time resolved results will be used as a basis for discussing parallel results in the chalcogenide glasses, where, in particular, new luminescence measurements of both the crystals and the related glasses can be compared with the ODMR results. The investigations establish the ODMR technique as an important method for analyzing the recombination processes in these and other amorphous semiconductors.
KeywordsChalcogenide Glass Amorphous Semiconductor Exciton Emission Optically Detect Magnetic Resonance Triplet Exciton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.N. F. Mott and E. A. Davis, “Electronic Processes in Non-Crystalline Materials,” Oxford, 2nd ed. (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.P. D. Kirby and E. A. Davis, Proc. 14th Int. Conf. on the Physics of Semiconductors, ed. B. L. H. Wilson, p. 1309 (1978).Google Scholar
- 11.G. Fasol, thesis, University of Cambridge (1982).Google Scholar
- 12.G. Fasol and E. A. Davis, J. de. Physique, 25–26, Colloque C4–571 (1981).Google Scholar
- 15.B. V. Shanabrook, S. G. Bishop, and P. C. Taylor, J. de Physique 25–26, Colloque C4–865 (1981).Google Scholar
- 16.S. Depinna, thesis, University of Hull (1982).Google Scholar
- 21.P. Dawson, K. Morigaki, and B. C. Cavenett, Proc. 14th Int. Conf. on the Physics of Semiconductors, ed. B. L. H. Wilson, p. 1023 (11979)Google Scholar
- 22.G. S. Higashi and M. A. Kastner, 1982, private communication, (to be published).Google Scholar
- 23a.B. C. Cavenett, S. Depinna, and W. E. Lamb, Proc. Int. Conf. on the Physics of Semiconductors, Montepellier, (1982), to be published.Google Scholar