Preclinical Examination of Ocular Photoradiation Therapy
Hematoporphyrin derivative photoradiation therapy is an effective therapeutic modality for several types of solid tumors 1,2. One area of recent clinical interest is the exploitation of HpD PRT for the treatment of ocular malignancies 3,4. New therapies which can provide effective tumor destruction and minimal normal ocular tissue damage are needed since the current modalities used for treating eye tumors (external beam radiation, radioisotope plaques, photocoagulation and cryotherapy) are not totally satisfactory 5,6. HpD PRT may provide a modality which can be utilized for the treatment of both retinoblastoma and uveal melanoma. In addition, this procedure may be useful as both a primary modality in selective instances as well as a secondary modality following recurrence.
KeywordsFormalin Toxicity Argon Retina Porphyrin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T.J. Dougherty, J.B. Kaufman, A. Goldfarb, K.R. Weishaupt, D.G. Boyle, and A. Mittleman, Photoradiation therapy for the treatment of malignant tumors, Cancer Res. 38:2628–2635. (1978).Google Scholar
- 2.T.J. Dougherty, K.R. Weishaupt, and D.G. Boyle, “Photosensitizers” in: (eds., De Vita, V., S. Helman, and S. Rosenberg), Cancer, Principles and Practices of Oncology, pp. 1836–1844, Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.C.J. Gomer, D.R. Doiron, J.V. Jester, B.C. Szirth, and A.L. Murphree, Hematoporphyrin derivative photoradiation therapy for the treatment of intraocular tumors: Examination of acute ocular tissue toxicity. Cancer Res. 43:721–727, (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.C.J. Gomer, D.R. Doiron, L. White, J.V. Jester, S. Dunn, B.C. Szirth, N.J. Razum, and A.L. Murphree, Hematoporphyrin derivative photoradiation induced damage to normal and tumor tissue of the pigmented rabbit eye. Current Eye Res., (In Press).Google Scholar
- 7.D.L. Krohn, R. Jacobs, and D.A. Morris, Diagnosis of model choroid malignant melanoma by hematoporphyrin derivative fluorescence in rabbits. Invest. Ophthalmol. 13:244–255, (1974).Google Scholar
- 8.S. Lerman, M. Jocoy, and R.F. Borkman, Photosensitization of the lens by 8-methoxypsoralen. Invest. Ophthalmo1. 16:1065–1068, (1977).Google Scholar
- 10.R.S. Smith, and M.N. Stein, Ocular hazards of transcleral laser radiation. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 66:21–31, (1968).Google Scholar