Endoscopic HpD-Laser Photoradiation Therapy (PRT) of Cancer
Efforts are being made all over the world to improve the survival rate and the quality of life of cancer patients. These are the main reasons why new methods of treatment are developed and find their place in the management of the disease. It has been demonstrated for many years that malignant tissue as well as embryonic and traumatized tissues possess selective affinity for porphyrins 1,2 and particularly for an acetic-acid-sulfuric-acid derivative of Hematoporphyrin (HpD) 3. At the same time, endoscopic application possibilities have been identified . More recently, after a large experimental study, Dougherty et al. 5 reported to succeed in the treatment of malignant tumors in humans, and Cortese and Kinsey 6 and Hayata et al. 7 reported clinical endoscopic applications.
KeywordsComplete Remission Main Bronchus Cancer Cachexia Hematoporphyrin Derivative Fiberoptic Endoscope
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. H. J. Figge, G. S. Weiland, and L. O. J. Manganiello, Cancer detection and therapy. Affinity of neoplastic embryonic and traumatized regenerating tissues for porphyrins and metalloporphyrins, Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med. 68:640 (1948).Google Scholar
- 2.F. H. J. Figge, and G. S. Weiland, Studies on cancer detection and therapy: the affinity of neoplastic embryonic and traumatized tissue for porphyrins and metalloporphyrins, Cancer Res. 9:549 (1949).Google Scholar
- 3.R. L. Lipson, F. J. Baldes, and A. M. Olsen, The use of a derivative of Hematoporphyrin in tumor detection, J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 26:1 (1961).Google Scholar
- 4.R. L. Lipson, E. J. Baldes, and A. M. Olsen, Hematoporphyrin Derivative; A new aid to endoscopic detection of malignant disease, J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 42:623 (1961).Google Scholar
- 5.T. J. Dougherty, J. E. Kaufman, A. Goldfarb, K. R. Weishaupt, D. G. Boyle, and A. Mittleman, Photoradiation therapy for the treatment of malignant tumors, Cancer Res. 38:2628 (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.D. A. Cortese, and J. H. Kinsey, Endoscopic management of lung cancer with Hematoporphyrin Derivative phototherapy, Mayo Clinic Proc. 57:543 (1982).Google Scholar