Photoradiation Therapy in Early Stage Cancer Cases of the Lung, Esophagus and Stomach
Photoradiation therapy (PRT) was performed in clinical cancer cases ascertaining the therapeutic effectiveness and safety of this new modality in experimentally induced canine central type lung cancer. In the canine experiments, weekly submucosal injections of the carcinogen 20-methylcholanthrene were made at the bifurcation of the right apical and cardiac lobe bronchi in beagles and mongrel dogs1. This is one of only a very few successful dog lung cancer models in the world.
KeywordsGastric Cancer Esophageal Cancer Quartz Fiber Lobe Bronchus Tokyo Medical College
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.T.J. Dougherty, G.B. Grindey, K.R. Weishaupt, and D.G. Boyle, Photoradiation therapy II. Cure of animal tumors with Hematoporphyrin and light, J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 55:115 (1975).Google Scholar
- 3.T.J. Dougherty, J.E. Kaufman, A. Goldfarb, K.R. Weishaupt, D.G. Boyle, and A. Mittleman, Photoradiation therapy for the treatment of malignant tumors, Cancer Res. 38:2628 (1978).Google Scholar
- 4.T.J. Dougherty, G. Lawrence, J.E. Kaufman, D.G. Boyle, K.R. Weishaupt, and A. Goldfarb, Photoradiatîon in the treatment of recurrent breast carcinoma, J. Natl. Cancer Inst., 62:231 (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.T.J. Dougherty, R.E. Thoma, D.G. Boyle, and K.R. Weishaupt, Photoradiation therapy for treatment of tumors in pet and dogs, Cancer Res. 41:401 (1981).Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Hayata, H. Kato, C. Konaka, M. Aida, J. Ono, and K. Nishimiya, Hematoporphyrin Derivative and photoradiation for tumor localization and treatment of lung cancer, in: “Lung Cancer 1982”, S. Ishikawa et al., ed., Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam-Oxford-Princeton (1982).Google Scholar