Effects of HpD and Laser on Transformed and Corresponding Normal Cultured Cells: Differential Cytotoxicity as an in Vitro Model for Tumor Photochemotherapy
In vivo studies on tumor-bearing animals have demonstrated a preferential uptake of several exogenous dyes — and particularly of the Hematoporphyrin-Derivative (HpD) — within the tumor mass 1–4 (reviewed in Ref. 5). Consequently, photoactivation of the dye resulted in selective destruction of the tumor tissue. Such photo-dynamic effects have been utilized in experimental photochemother-apy of induced or spontaneous tumors in animals 3,6–8 After HpD administration, tumor tissues have been irradiated by laser light either directly or through cptic fibres. Success reported with this strategy lead recently to the application of similar protocols to human tumors 9,10.
KeywordsLaser Irradiation Semisolid Medium Photodynamic Effect Cytocidal Effect Differential Cytotoxicity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. S. Barker, R. W. Henderson, and E. Storey, The “in vivo” localization of porphyrins, Br. J. Exp. Pathol. 51:628 (1970).Google Scholar
- 2.C. J. Gomer, and T. J. Dougherty, Determination of 3H- and C-Hematoporphyrin Derivative distribution in malignant and normal tissue, Cancer Res. 39:146 (1979).Google Scholar
- 3.S. G. Granelli, I. Diamond, A. F. McDonagh, C. B. Wilson, and S. L. Nielsen, Photochemotherapy of glioma cells by visible light and Hematoporphyrin, Cancer Res. 35:2567 (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.S. H. Tomson, E. A. Emmett, and S. H. Fox, Photodestruction of mouse epithelial tumors after oral acridine orange and argon laser, Cancer Res. 34:3124 (1974).Google Scholar
- 9.T. J. Dougherty, J. E. Kaufman, A. Goldfarb, K. R. Weishaupt, D. Boyle, and A. Mittleman, Photoradiation therapy for the treatment of malignant tumors, Cancer Res, 38:2628 (1978).Google Scholar
- 10.T. J. Dougherty, T. J. G. Lawrence, J. H. Kaufman, D. Boyle, K. R. Weishaupt, and A. Goldfarb, J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 62:231 (1979).Google Scholar
- 12.A. Andreoni, R. Cubeddu, S. De Silvestri, P. Laporta, F. S. Ambesi-Impiombato, M. Esposito, M. Mastrocinque, and D. Tramontano, Effects of laser irradiation on Hematoporphyrin-treated normal and transformed thyroid cells in culture, Cancer Res. 43:2076 (1983).Google Scholar