Is Institutional Transference an Over-Used Concept in the Treatment of Chronic Psychiatric Patients?
The concept of institutional transference — i.e. relating to an institution rather than to a therapist — was initially observed among a small number of chronic psychiatric patients. Recently, this concept has been over-used to the extent that it has become synonymous with treatment of these patients. This paper describes the observation of the author in an out-patient clinic where the phenomenon of institutional transference is observed among 10% of the general population of the patients who form one-third of those suffering from chronic schizophrenic illness. Therefore, it is far from being a general occurrence among these patients.
KeywordsTherapeutic Alliance Therapeutic Goal Community Psychiatry Physical Setting Mental Health Worker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reider, N.: A type of transference to institutions, Bull. Menninger Clinic, 2: 58–63, 1953.Google Scholar
- 4.Saferstein, S.: Institutional transference–further consideration, Disease Of The Nervous System, 31 (7–12) 149–154, 1970.Google Scholar
- 5.Sampath, H.M., Kingston, E., Dhindsa, B.: Institutional transference and disengagement. Can. Psychiatr. Ass. J. 16: 227–232, June 1971.Google Scholar
- 6.Lomas, H.: Institutional transference revisited, Bull. Menninger Clinic, 43: 547–551, 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.Winnicott, D.W.: The maturational process and the facilitating environment, Hogarth Press, London, 1965.Google Scholar
- 8.Winnicott, D.W.: Hate in the counter transference. Int. J. Psycho-Anal, 29–30; 69–74, 1948–1949.Google Scholar
- 9.Balint, M.: The basic fault: therapeutic aspects of regression, Brunner/Mazel Publishers, New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- 11.Greenson, R.: Beyond transference and interpretation. Int. J. Psycho-Anal, 53: 213–217, 1972.Google Scholar
- Greenson, R., Wexler, M.: The non-transference relationship in the psychoanalytic situtation, Int. J. Psycho-Anal, 50: 27–39, 1969.Google Scholar
- Greenson, R.: The working alliance and the transference neurosis, Psycho-Anal. Quart. 34: 151–181, 1965.Google Scholar
- 12.Zetzel, E.R.: Current concepts of transference, Int. J. Psa. XXXVII, 369–376, 1956.Google Scholar
- Zetzel, E.R.: The capacity for emotional growth, International Universities Press Inc. New York, 1970.Google Scholar